The general purpose of the job is to contribute to meeting the goals and objectives of Detroit Mercy TRIO Student Support Services program. The Academic Curriculum Coordinator/Tutor will support the success of low-income and first generation students, as well as students with documented disabilities. The Academic Curriculum Coordinator/Tutor will assist Success Coach I and II with developing and facilitating academic tutoring and assist with academic coaching, mentoring, and other direct services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Academic Curriculum Coordinator/Tutor will provide academic assistance to TRIO participants by assisting with the development of foundational skills necessary to complete course content in Math, English, Foreign Language, etc. The Academic Curriculum Coordinator/Tutor will also introduce students to professional development skills/resources, such as public speaking and graduate school exam preparation. This individual will assist with identifying and scheduling tutors/academic support for all TRIO students who seek academic development/support.
(1) Assist students with transitioning to Detroit Mercy
(2) Contact students by phone, email, text message, and in-person to discuss any identified concern and modify student success plans
(3) Coordinate academic tutoring activities, such as presentations, tutoring appointments, study groups
(4) Utilize student access, student and data management system, to monitor student progress and document all contacts with program participants
(5) Coordinate and participate in required grant activities and programming such as visits to cultural institutions, speaker events, recognition ceremonies, and other University sponsored events
(6) Other activities as assigned to support the retention of students at Detroit Mercy
(7) Other duties as assigned
A Bachelor degree
Six months to two years of experience
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
15.00-18.00 per hour
Part-time casual position working under 20 hours per week.