The Senior Housing Developer works independently to:
• Manage all project development stages, including feasibility, design, due diligence, community outreach, production of development and operating budgets and other financial analyses, management of construction management, and cost certification.
• Devise methods and processes to resolve complex issues that have broad potential impact to housing projects involving competing interests, multiple clients, conflicting rules, practices, and schedules.
• Establish and cultivate relationships with existing and potential consulting clients throughout Washington State, as well as brokers, land sellers, investors, public funders, private lenders, and other funding sources.
• Understand and stay informed of changes in the real estate development climate, real estate market, and the policies and politics affecting affordable housing finance and development.
• Source opportunities for building and land acquisitions. Perform feasibility analysis, lead the due diligence process for land and building acquisitions, and negotiate acquisition financing.
• Actively participate in local and state-wide consortia and interest groups relevant to affordable housing development and finance.
• Work collaboratively with other development team members and clients to ensure the success of high-quality projects that meet the needs of Bellwether, the community, and our clients.
• Bachelor’s degree in real estate development, finance, architecture, urban planning, or related field.
• 7 years of multi-family housing development experience.
• Demonstrated expertise in complex real estate development, financing mechanisms, and securing private funding sources.
• Demonstrated expertise in determining financial feasibility of potential projects through financial modelling.
• Proven experience negotiating investment and financing terms, purchase and sale agreements, construction contracts, and other similar agreements.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and produce thorough and reliable development and operating budgets, as well as longer-term financial analyses.
• Ability to advise, communicate with, and seek direction from Director, other Real Estate Development Team members, and other Bellwether Departments.
• Enjoys and skilled in mentoring and collaborating with team members.
• Demonstrate critical thinking and ability to make decisions in a timely manner.
• Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
• Willingness to support team members on their work on an as needed basis.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Commitment to Bellwether’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiative.
• Master’s degree in real estate development, finance, architecture, urban planning, or related field.
• Successful experience using City of Seattle and State of Washington funding sources for low income housing.
• Experience working on affordable housing projects in the States of Washington and Oregon.
• Demonstrated experience in complex real estate development and financing mechanisms for affordable housing, including tax-exempt bond financing, low income housing tax credits, property tax exemptions, and other public and private funding sources.
• Current or recent involvement with a non-profit or community-based housing organization.
• Experience with advocacy in seeking public funding and explaining and advocating for policies that affect affordable housing.
• Experience in implementing department-wide project management tools, and other systems for efficient workflow.
Other Position Requirements:
• Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Compensation: $90,000 - $110,000 per year, generous benefits
Benefits: Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b)-retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, disability (short- and long-term); employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer – we value the diversity of thought, education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience.