*COVER LETTER REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED A COMPLETE APPLICATION AND CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW*
Position: Director of Development
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Location: Hybrid/Flexible - CASA of Los Angeles, Edelman Children’s Court, Monterey Park, CA
Status/Schedule: Full-time/Exempt, Mon – Fri 8AM-5PM, weekend/evenings, required in office/field based on organization needs.
Salary: $110,000 - $119,000 annually
CASA of Los Angeles organizes the community to show up for children and families in LA County’s overburdened child welfare and juvenile justice systems. Through an intentional, restorative and culturally responsive lens, we train committed, consistent and caring adults who provide equitable access to resources and life-affirming connections. CASA/LA strengthens our community, ensuring that children and families have what they need to thrive. CASA/LA is on a path to expand services to 12,000 of the estimated 30,000 children in the LA County’s dependency system every year. Key to these efforts is growth in the number of people who know about CASA/LA, the number of volunteers recruited and trained each year, and revenue generated from individuals, foundations, corporations and government sources.
The Director of Development will play a key role in the day-to-day fundraising activities at CASA/LA. This individual will be a detail oriented, self-directed professional who can work in a fast-paced environment. They will display a flexible approach with the ability to move from project to project. Key activities will include but are not limited to donor stewardship and cultivation including management of development activities and campaigns, donor database and donor acknowledgement process. The Director of Development will also oversee the organization’s special events that include fundraising and marketing related activities needed for each event.
Some weekend and evening work are required throughout the year as needed and at major events.
Duties and responsibilities
- Work in partnership with Chief Development Officer to support and cultivate donor relationships.
- Work with Chief Development Officer to implement campaigns to maximize prospect and donor engagement.
- Partner with Chief Development Officer to develop and maintain donor portfolio to optimize fundraising opportunities.
- Represent CASA/LA as an external ambassador and spokesperson for the organization, with a deep sense of commitment to CASA/LA’s mission and values.
- Ensure that appropriate recognition and reporting occur for all donations.
- Develop and manage third party events and partnerships.
- Prepare standardized and custom reports using the system DonorPerfect.
- Prepare donor communications and requests for information and other correspondence.
- Work in collaboration with the Chief Development Officer to develop and implement CASA/LA’s marketing plan.
- Oversee CASA/LA events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and five years of professional work experience in a development department.
- Excellent computer skills, specifically MS Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher or other design software) and donor management software (DonorPerfect).
- Ability to thrive and work effectively independently and as a part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, the ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects, meet deadlines, problem-solve and multi-task.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Ability to build rapport with donors with diplomacy.
- Experience or interest in a career in fund development or non-profit organizations essential.
- Ability and willingness to work some early mornings, evenings, and weekend days.
Who you are:
- Integrity and passion. A person of integrity and passion that lives by the core values of CASA/LA and is passionate about CASA/LA’s mission.
- Fundraising and leadership expert. You have proven knowledge and performance of fundraising and a successful track-record of fund development campaigns in major gift cultivation and solicitation, special events management, grant writing, volunteer management, non-profit governance, and planned giving.
- Creative and bold. You are an innovative thinker of fundraising strategies. You hold the bar high and bring new opportunities to CASA/LA that will help drive systemic change.
- Inspiring. You are a leader that brings incredible people along with you. Whether to internal stakeholders or external partners, you can articulate a clear vision and how everyone can play important roles in pursuing CASA/LA’s mission.
- Tech-savvy. You are informed by validated data and take every opportunity to leverage it into actionable goals and strategy while utilizing the latest technology in computing, project management, donor management, and report creation.
- Action-oriented. You get things done and are driven by results utilizing the SMART principle of setting goals and taking actions to achieve them.
- Relationship-driven. You thrive with the opportunity to reach, connect, build, and maintain relationships with diverse constituents, representing a wide array of donors and members who support CASA/LA mission.
- Organized and efficient. You are a skilled task and priority organizer across teams in and outside the department ensure minimal waste, and that time is used at the highest level of efficiency and effectiveness.
- Collaborative. You know the best results come from teamwork, and can work by finding the best ways to use peoples’ strengths. You debrief wins and losses and capitalize on the learnings of what went well and what didn’t go well in terms of continuous improvement.
- Strong leader, manager and communicator. You have a proven record of championing and mentoring teams. Your words are chosen carefully to build up, recognize, and move people with passion to do their best work.
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities. You adapt to a changing environment with the ability to respond to and manage crisis with a calm and mindful approach.
- Passionate. You are motivated by the work that inspires you to do your best and that is evident in your leadership and actions with all stakeholders.
- Fun. You know how to celebrate wins and have a good time.
How to Apply
Only applicants who include a cover letter will be considered. Only applicants whose resumes are selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that the selected candidate will be required to submit to a full live scan and background check.
CASA of Los Angeles is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff.
CASA of Los Angeles promotes equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. In doing so, we comply with local, state, and federal laws and regulations to ensure an equal employment opportunity for everyone. We don’t discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability,