Job Title: Executive Coordinator
Position Supervisors: Senior Director of Policy and Practice and the Vice President of External Relations
Classification Level: Full-Time Exempt
Location: Arlington, VA (hybrid) Candidate must be local to our headquarters.
Position Timeline: Permanent
APHSA is recruiting new talent! We are seeking an ambitious new hire who is efficient, successful at managing projects, who is able to perform administrative/operational tasks for two of our executives. The candidate must be located in the DMV are.
APHSA represents leaders from state, county, and city human services agencies to advance the well-being of individuals, families, and communities nationwide. As a nonprofit, bipartisan membership association, we work with our members to generate pragmatic solutions grounded in lived experience with a lens for racial equity and belonging.
Join a team of dedicated, results-oriented professionals who are helping our members improve the well-being of individuals, families, and communities across the nation! Our team at APHSA needs a person like you who leans forward and feels comfortable engaging with teammates, thought leaders, and partners.
We are looking for an innovative, solutions-oriented action-taker who will add to our collaborative team environment.
Our team at APHSA needs a person like you who leans forward and feels comfortable engaging with important thought leaders and partners. We’re looking for solution-oriented action-takers who will add to our collaborative team environment. While your main focus will be supporting executive leadership and helping to advance APHSA’s mission and goals, we’re also looking for someone who thrives in a multi-team environment. In addition, we need someone who is comfortable working with multiple teams to advance the work both internally and externally with kindness, compassion, inclusion, and a can-do spirit.
Your direct supervisors and coaches will be the VP of External Affairs and the Sr. Director of Policy and Practice. Your support will be the entire APHSA organization because we work best when we all work together!
The Executive Coordinator is responsible for providing organizational and administrative support for two executives within the organization in a timely, personalized, and professional manner. The Executive Coordinator will prioritize items for attention and manage small projects from conception to completion.
The Executive Coordinator must be able to effectively manage last-minute changes and upcoming deadlines while remaining focused and detailed oriented. While working independently and with minimal supervision, the Executive Coordinator will handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion. The ideal candidate must be strategic, have stellar organization, prioritization, and time management skills, take initiative, anticipate needs, and be tech-savvy.
Major Responsibility #1 – Administrative Responsibilities (70%)
- Provides calendar support to both executives.
- Schedules internal and external meetings, webinars, and conference calls.
- Assists in planning special events, meetings, and presentations; coordinates arrangements for the meeting and event participants; adjusts and prioritizes last-minute changes including managing the logistics and details related to meetings and events (i.e., conference rooms, catering, preparing and disseminating materials).
- Manages executive calendars and calendar invites.
- Creates and distributes communication to all participants for internal and external meetings, webinars, and conference calls.
- Coordinates with a range of organization partners, including executives and colleagues in other departments, to complete assigned project-based tasks.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for both internal and external inquiries; responds to and follows up on calls, emails, and other inquiries on the executives’ behalf; ensures a high level of responsiveness, support, and sensitivity to all requests of importance.
- Upholds a high level of confidentiality on sensitive business and other related matters.
Major Responsibility #2 – Organization Responsibilities (20%)
- Accurately completes expense reports.
- Works in collaboration and provides backup support to other Executive Coordinators.
- Maintains familiarity with all policy and technology updates.
- Drafts, edits, proofs, and prepares materials for both executives.
- Arranges and maintain travel plans and itineraries for both executives.
Major Responsibility #3 – Other assigned duties (10%)
- Conducts occasional research on varying topics to support Association needs.
- Occasionally schedules travel, as needed.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by executives.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines whether routine or urgent.
- Demonstrate judgment and discernment in decision-making.
- Demonstrate outstanding customer care and relationship management skills.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task high volume work requests and re-prioritize independently; proactively problem-solves.
- Articulate verbal and writing skills.
- Works independently as well as part of the team to ensure that the needs of the executives are met, and that adequate administrative coverage is provided to the organization.
- Flexibility to work on-site will be required according to the needs of supervisors and the organization.
- Candidate must be local to the DC, Metro, Virginia area
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Smartsheet or equivalent tools, and other document management software.
- Ability to establish priorities, work under pressure, and build effective working relationships.
- Experience working with executive-level leaders within an organization.
- Previous customer care and relationship management experience is
- Exhibits strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills with the ability to produce high-quality communications to individuals at all levels of the organization.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- College or Equivalent Training
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
At APHSA, we value and support the health, well-being and future of our staff. Our benefit package is based on improving employee morale, which fosters a work environment where staff feel they can thrive and feel accomplished. Aside from basic benefits such as 100% employer coverage of health, dental, and vision insurance, we also offer additional employee benefits and perks like these:
- $250 work from home stipend
- 3% contribution to 401 k or ROTH Plan
- Monthly Staples account allowance
- Hybrid work environment
- Additional discretionary holidays included with 11 paid holidays
- Employee Appreciation gifts and an APHSA Swag pop-up shop
- 20 vacation days
- 15 sick/wellness days
- Disability insurance
- Life Insurance
- FSA (health, dependent, commuter)
- Optional employee paid benefits (legal, pet insurance, critical illness, accident)
Please submit a resume and cover letter.
This employer participates in E-Verify for employment verification.
The American Public Human Services Association (APHSA) is a bipartisan national membership association representing state and local health and human services agencies and the subject matter experts that help execute their mission to improve outcomes for people nationwide. APHSA's dedication to promoting diversity, racial equity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in how we work and support our members. It is more than a commitment—it is the foundation of how we do what we do. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and recognize that building well-being starts with creating a space where our employees are comfortable bringing their authentic, unique selves to work.
Building on our long-standing relationships with health and human services leaders, we focus on generating pragmatic solutions that advance the well-being of individuals, families, and communities.