We seek a Co-Op Data Scientist to join our high performing Data Science team to discover and develop algorithmic improvements in the weather-based and LiDAR sensor inputs that power our core dynamic line rating models. This Co-Op role is perfect for students or academic scientists looking to break into the software industry and clean energy industry. If you love to use python code to make sense of research questions using large volumes of noisy real-world data, this job is for you.
What will you do?
- Own a project to answer an important research question using LineVision’s data, and present your results to colleagues.
- Improve, automate, and sharpen our algorithmic capabilities for detecting rare events such as conductor icing, wind-driven conductor galloping, and thermal anomalies.
- Derive statistical conclusions about the thermal performance of power line conductors and track the impacts of seasonal and environmental changes to our models over time.
- Field ad hoc analytics requests to answer customer questions as part of scoping new business, and generate analyses that build confidence in our data with existing clients.
Skills and experience required to succeed in this role
- A shared passion to accelerate the clean energy transition
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in a scientific or engineering discipline (e.g. astronomy, physics, geology, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, materials science, atmospheric science, fluid dynamics, or boundary layer meteorology)
- Fluent with units of measurement: can you speak in milligauss, amps, m/s, °C, knots, pascals, and Newtons?
- Desired experience and programming languages:
- Python experience preferred
- Exposure to data science tools: pandas, numpy, SQL, matplotlib, Jupyter notebooks
- Exposure to different data types: time series, IoT sensor data, or geospatial data
Work Schedule: The ideal candidate would be available for a minimum of 3 months, up to the full 6 month co-op term, working 40 hours a week. LineVision has a standard US holiday schedule, and up to a week of additional unpaid time off is permissible. Upon successful internship or co-op completion, you will be considered for a full-time position upon graduation.
Compensation: $25 - $30 per hour
Who we are
We are a rapidly growing technology company, enabling electric utilities around the world to lead the clean energy transition with enhanced transmission grid flexibility, increased resiliency, and more grid capacity for renewable energy. We provide utilities with our patented, non-contact sensors for the real-time monitoring and predictive analytics they need to accelerate the path to a net-zero grid.
- We are a team of dedicated individuals who are passionate about helping to solve the biggest challenges facing today’s electric grid
- We believe unlocking transmission capacity is critical to the resilience of our future grid and the ability to integrate renewables at scale
- We value and benefit from the wide-ranging perspectives that come from a diverse and inclusive work environment
- We are committed to providing:
- Situational awareness to help grid operators make informed decisions on the physical position of their conductors that can help to prevent damage and fires
- Dynamic Line Ratings to increasing capacity by up to 40% on existing transmission lines with real-time monitoring while improving reliability & safety
- Asset health monitoring to improve maintenance strategies by creating a digital twin to determine the true conductor health
LineVision Inc is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
For more information, visit http://www.linevisioninc.com