Job Title: Conference and Events Coordinator
Position Supervisor: Director, Membership and Events
Classification Level: Exempt
Location: Arlington, VA (Hybrid/ Local)
Position Timeline: Permanent
APHSA is recruiting new talent! We are seeking an ambitious new hire who is efficient and successful at coordinating events.
APHSA represents leaders from state, county, and city human services agencies to advance the well-being of individuals, families, and communities nationwide. As a nonprofit, bipartisan membership association, we work with our members to generate pragmatic solutions grounded in lived experience with a lens for racial equity and belonging.
Join a team of dedicated, results-oriented professionals who are helping our members improve the well-being of individuals, families, and communities across the nation! Our team at APHSA needs a person like you who leans forward and feels comfortable engaging with teammates, thought leaders and partners.
We are looking for an innovative, solutions-oriented action taker who will add to our collaborative team environment.
Our team at APHSA needs a person like you who leans forward and feels comfortable engaging with important thought leaders and partners. We’re looking for solution-oriented action takers who will add to our collaborative team environment. While your main focus will be to coordinate APHSA’s conferences and events because that helps advance the association’s mission and goals, we’re also looking for someone who thrives in a multi-team environment. In addition, we need someone who is comfortable being on multiple cross functional internal teams to advance the work both internally and externally with kindness, compassion, inclusion, and a can-do spirit.
Your direct supervisor and coach will be the Director of Membership and Events. Your support will be the entire APHSA organization because we work best when we all work together!
The Conference and Events Coordinator will play a key role on the Connect Team building and conveying the value of APHSA to our members and will support the conference and events team. They will provide superior customer service. They will work closely with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator on marketing strategies to maximize member engagement for our events. They will support the Director, Membership and Events to help manage the Strategic Industry Partnership (SIP) program. They will be highly self-motivated with a desire to learn and grow. This position will work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization to seek out and explore new ways to enhance APHSA member engagement and services.
Major Responsibility #1 Events and Conferences: (30%).
- Support Director, Membership and Events and Meeting Planners on speaker and session management, and offsite event set up and check in;
- Provide back-up support to the Registration Specialist for online registration setup, processing registrations, and responding to member’s inquiries regarding events;
- Provide registration support for in-person events, as needed;
- Prepare and produce materials for events (e.g., name badges, meeting packets, table tents, rosters, etc.);
- Research and make recommendations to meeting planners for off-site events at education conferences, work with services such as transportation companies, travel agencies, entertainment services and speaker bureaus;
- Help manage member expense reports and tracking of submitted reports;
- Participate in event committee meetings, as needed;
- Manage inventory for event related materials and supplies;
- Provide and/or manage, as needed, logistical support for internal meetings and Strategic Industry Partner (SIP) webinars;
- Responsible for timely and accurate shipping of conference materials.
Major Responsibility #2: Event Websites, Conference App, and Membership (30%),
- Responsible for and oversee the maintenance of conference micro-websites working with contracted webmasters to ensure content is relevant and kept fresh;
- Work closely with the communications and marketing department to help develop marketing materials and communication tactics in promoting attendance at our events;
- Support the production of the multi-conference app and interface with the vendor;
- Provide research on allied organizations to recommend for cross-marketing of our events;
- Provide exceptional customer service to members and coworkers by communicating effectively and efficiently.
Major Responsibility #3: Administrative (40%).
- Provide administrative support to Director of Membership and Events including, but not limited to, submitting expense reports, coding credit card statements, booking travel, maintaining calendar, setting conference calls;
- Execute departmental administrative responsibilities and special projects;
- Assist with financial data entry, processing payments, and billing for events and Strategic Industry Partners program;
- Prepare audit reports on vendor invoices, hotel invoices and other event expenses, as needed;
- Reconcile expense reports for scholarship recipients and assist with reconciling post-conference invoices;
- Assist with compilation of post-conference data (surveys and other related reports, etc.);
- Interact with third party vendors, as directed;
- Support general office administration, serve as back-up to executive coordinator and assist with various projects, as needed;
- The desire to solve problems and proactively identify solutions;
- Participate in regular team meetings;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Proficient Microsoft Office 365.
- Exceptional attention to detail, organizational skills and decision making.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Team player as well as ability to work individually and be self-driven.
- Ability to work in a confidential environment and manner.
- Creative and innovative.
- Willingness to travel up to 10% as public health considerations permit.
Education and Experience:
- College or Equivalent Training
- 3-5 years of experience as an events coordinator.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time at in-person events.
At APHSA, we value and support the health, well-being and future of our staff. Our benefit package is based on improving employee morale, which fosters a work environment where staff feel they can thrive and feel accomplished. Aside from basic benefits such as 100% employer coverage of health, dental, and vision insurance, we also offer additional employee benefits and perks like these:
- $250 work from home stipend
- 3% contribution to 401 k or ROTH Plan
- Monthly Staples account allowance
- Hybrid work environment
- Additional discretionary holidays included with 11 paid holidays
- Employee Appreciation gifts and an APHSA Swag pop-up shop
- 20 vacation days
- 15 sick/wellness days
- Disability insurance
- Life Insurance
- FSA health, dependent, commuter)
- Optional employee paid benefits (legal, pet insurance, critical illness, accident)
Please submit a resume and cover letter.
This employer participates in E-Verify for employment verification.
The American Public Human Services Association (APHSA) is a bipartisan national membership association representing state and local health and human services agencies and the subject matter experts that help execute their mission to improve outcomes for people nationwide. APHSA's dedication to promoting diversity, racial equity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in how we work and support our members. It is more than a commitment—it is the foundation of how we do what we do. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and recognize that building well-being starts with creating a space where our employees are comfortable bringing their authentic, unique selves to work.
Building on our long-standing relationships with health and human services leaders, we focus on generating pragmatic solutions that advance the well-being of individuals, families, and communities.