BlueWave has an immediate opening for a Controller, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer. This key financial position will be committed to partnering with all departments and working with the Chief Financial Officer to build a "best-in-class" finance organization. The selected candidate will be people-focused and create an environment where people feel valued and respected. The successful candidate will be a model of integrity with high ethical standards that drive financial excellence throughout the company. This position demands not only financial skills, but the ability to think strategically and to understand the company's sales and operations.
BlueWave's vision is to protect our planet by transforming access to renewable energy. As a pioneering renewable energy company that develops and owns solar and battery storage projects. BlueWave has developed and built more than 150 MW of solar projects to date and is actively developing battery storage projects to ensure our grid is reliable and efficient in a clean energy future. As built, these projects collectively generate enough solar energy to avoid more than 144,000 metric tons of carbon emissions annually. BlueWave is proud to be a certified B Corp, recognized by B Labs as "Best in the World" in Governance.
BlueWave provides employees with a robust benefits package including unlimited paid time off, dedicated volunteer days, summer Fridays and 13 paid holidays. In addition, we offer a 401k and Roth 401K option with company match, subsidized health, dental and vision plans, as well as life insurance and long/short-term disability.
Inclusion at BlueWave:
As a mission-driven B Corp, as environmentalists, and as humans, we hold ourselves accountable to creating a workforce that celebrates diversity on our team and within our communities. Our inclusive culture and core values inspire us to develop more innovative, bolder solutions to support our customers and partners in the solar industry. When you join BlueWave, you join a collaborative team doing all that we can to be transparent, sustainable, and inclusive as we fight for our shared vision of protecting the planet.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the accounting department and responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for the company's financial policies, its accounting practices, the conduct of its relationships with external auditors, customers and vendors and the maintenance of its fiscal records
- Recording and review of all appropriate entries into the general ledger in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the maintenance of department and account structure
- Complying with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP), federal, state and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, anticipating future legislation, and forcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports, and advising management on needed actions
- Maintaining templates for forecasts & budgeting reporting processes and the data you collect
- Managing the financial and tax reporting to group and external agencies
- Preparing financial statements and all financial narrations that will be completed for the company as required by various regulatory authorities
- Contributing to the fiscal soundness, operating effectiveness and regulatory compliance of the organization by developing processes and procedures to ensure delivery of accurate, timely and relevant financial information to management, the board of directors, lenders and regulators
- Developing and maintaining effective internal controls over financial reporting, including preparation of account reconciliations, supervisory review of transactions and staff training
- Improving existing accounting and workflow procedures
- Overseeing, maintaining and enforcing a documented system of accounting policies and procedures including accounting operations for the following areas (Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, General Ledger, Payroll, Project Accounting and Costing and Inventory)
- Managing daily invoicing, payments and collections and periodic bank account reconciliation and debt payment completion
- Preparing weekly cash flow management reports and updated projections
- Preparing accurate and timely comprehensive periodic financial reporting that include accounts payable and accounts receivable reconciliation, cash flow report and balance sheet audits
- Calculating financial and operating metrics
- Installing best practices and/or improving upon existing processes within the financial organization
- Developing and monitoring KPI’s necessary to achieve monthly, quarterly and annual goals
- Providing coaching and mentoring to the financial team and creating performance management and development plans of team members
- Preparing ad hoc financial analyses and reporting as requested
- Responsible for coordinating the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit as well as complying with local, state and federal government reporting requirements for tax filings
- CPA certification required and/or advanced degree in accounting or finance
- A combination of 8-10 years of High Tech/Public Accounting (Big Four preferred) experience with growing responsibilities
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of GAAP
- Strong internal control (SOX lite) and demonstrated process improvement experience required
- This person must be hands-on, entrepreneurial and strategic in the way they look at opportunities to improve the way the business is managed and be an advocate of change
- Demonstrated coordination of the monthly financial close process, as well as financial planning and forecasting processes
- Knowledge of enterprise accounting systems and how best to leverage technology to gain efficiency in the accounting/finance process
- A strong intellect with excellent interpersonal skills, good judgment, sound business sense and self-confidence to make a decision
- A quick study with a high level of energy, commitment, drive and ambition.
- The skill to build relationships and to marshal resources and influence decision-making in a fast-paced environment
- Results-oriented; a person whom people seek out regularly for counsel and advice
- An appreciation and passion for the goals of the organization and personal achievement
BlueWave is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and will do so by actively seeking to hire and promote diverse individuals throughout the company.
Providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment is critical to our identity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, handicap (disability), sexual orientation, gender identity/ or expression, genetics, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, military status or obligation or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.