BlueWave has an immediate opening for a New York based Managing Director of Solar Development who will be responsible for the development of BlueWave’s large pipeline of early-, mid- and late-stage solar projects located in New York State and for overseeing the New York Solar Project Development Team. Specifically, the Managing Director will be responsible for all aspects of project development in the region, including but not limited to project strategy, budgeting, development execution, permitting, pipeline management and project outcomes. BlueWave is at the forefront of exciting innovations in sustainable dual-use solar projects, including agrivoltaics and floating solar. The selected candidate will play a critical role in shaping those innovations and bringing cutting edge projects to fruition. Attention to detail, the ability to manage several complex projects and strong written/ verbal communication skills are essential attributes for being successful in this role. This position will report to the Chief Development Officer.
BlueWave's mission is to protect our planet by transforming access to renewable energy. As a pioneering renewable energy company that develops and owns solar and battery storage projects, BlueWave has a long track record of success and is developing several gigawatts of solar and battery storage projects throughout the United States to ensure our grid is reliable and efficient in a clean energy future. BlueWave is proud to be a certified B Corp, recognized by B Labs as "Best in the World" in Governance.
BlueWave provides employees with a robust benefits package including unlimited paid time off, dedicated volunteer days, summer Fridays and 13 paid holidays. In addition, we offer a 401k and Roth 401K option with company match, subsidized health, dental and vision plans, as well as life insurance and long/short-term disability.
Inclusion at BlueWave:
As a mission-driven B Corp, as environmentalists, and as humans, we hold ourselves accountable to creating a workforce that celebrates diversity on our team and within our communities. Our inclusive culture and core values inspire us to develop more innovative, bolder solutions to support our customers and partners in the solar industry. When you join BlueWave, you join a collaborative team doing all that we can to be transparent, sustainable, and inclusive as we fight for our shared vision of protecting the planet.
- Developing and delivering profitable solar projects located throughout New York State
- Hiring and managing all solar project directors, managers, analysts and subcontractors associated with developing each solar project in each market
- Setting strategy for each project, chart course for execution and own project-level outcomes as the senior developer
- Managing multiple Project Managers as direct reports
- Travelling to and representing BlueWave at community and public hearings as required, including night meetings
- Interacting with landowners, permitting authorities, engineers and consultants to advance development execution
- Understanding NY VDER, other solar incentive program guidelines and their impact on solar project development strategy and execution, with a particular focus on dual-use agrivoltaic projects
- Presenting project-level spend at internal Investment Committee meetings to advance projects and release funding
- Working with Grid Integration team to set utility strategy on project-by-project basis and for the overall market
- Assisting Project Finance team in closing relevant project financing events including project equity, debt and asset sales
- Monitoring relevant industry, federal, state, and local standards relating to solar system deployment
- Representing BlueWave in interactions with investors, regulatory agencies, contractors and utilities
- Utilizing our project management, document control and MIS tools to control and report on project progress
- Becoming familiar with all project documentation, regulatory requirement milestones and monitoring project progress against those requirements
- Collaborating/coordinating with other teams at BlueWave
- New York Solar Development Project Managers
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s degree a plus
- Minimum 7 years of relevant professional experience developing solar, storage or other renewable energy projects
- Significant experience with renewable project financing and/or construction
- Familiarity with New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania state renewable energy policies and incentives
- Proficiency in modeling project economics and proformas
- Ability to manage multiple projects in various stages
- Valid U.S. Driver’s license
- Must be able to perform site visits that include rocky/sloped terrain
- Advanced Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint skills
- Familiarity with Salesforce CRM and NetSuite a plus
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Familiarity with agricultural practices and operations and/or a demonstrated interest in dual-use agrivoltaic development strongly preferred
- Self-starting attitude and the ability to catch up to speed quickly
- Strong knowledge of solar PV technology and design principles
- Experience in engineering and/or construction of energy storage facilities
- Ability to think creatively to help streamline operations
- A great attitude and ability to be flexible
Targeted starting annual base salary for this role is $160,000 -$200,000.
Actual compensation will be influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, job-related knowledge, skills, education, licenses/certifications, essential job duties and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications.
BlueWave is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and will do so by actively seeking to hire and promote diverse individuals throughout the company.
Providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment is critical to our identity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, handicap (disability), sexual orientation, gender identity/ or expression, genetics, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, military status or obligation or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.