BlueWave has an immediate opening for a New York based Managing Director of Storage Development who will be responsible for the development of BlueWave’s large pipeline of early-stage energy storage projects located in New York and for overseeing the New York Storage Development Team. Specifically, the Managing Director will be responsible for all aspects of project development in the market, including but not limited to project strategy, budgeting, development execution, permitting, pipeline management and project outcomes. BlueWave is at the forefront of exciting innovations in battery storage projects and the selected individual will play a critical role in shaping those innovations and bringing cutting edge projects to fruition. Attention to detail, the ability to manage several complex projects and strong written and verbal communication skills are essential attributes for being successful in this role. The selected candidate will live in and have the ability to travel throughout New York State.
BlueWave's vision is to protect our planet by transforming access to renewable energy. As a pioneering renewable energy company that develops and owns solar and battery storage projects. BlueWave has developed and built more than 150 MW of solar projects to date and is actively developing battery storage projects to ensure our grid is reliable and efficient in a clean energy future. As built, these projects collectively generate enough solar energy to avoid more than 144,000 metric tons of carbon emissions annually. BlueWave is proud to be a certified B Corp, recognized by B Labs as "Best in the World" in Governance.
BlueWave provides employees with a robust benefits package including unlimited paid time off, dedicated volunteer days, summer Fridays and 13 paid holidays. In addition, we offer a 401k and Roth 401K option with company match, subsidized health, dental and vision plans, as well as life insurance and long/short-term disability.
Inclusion at BlueWave:
As a mission-driven B Corp, as environmentalists, and as humans, we hold ourselves accountable to creating a workforce that celebrates diversity on our team and within our communities. Our inclusive culture and core values inspire us to develop more innovative, bolder solutions to support our customers and partners in the solar industry. When you join BlueWave, you join a collaborative team doing all that we can to be transparent, sustainable, and inclusive as we fight for our shared vision of protecting the planet.
- Developing and delivering profitable storage projects located in New York state and potentially other markets
- Hiring and managing all storage project directors, managers, analysts and subcontractors associated with developing each storage project in each market
- Setting strategy for each project, chart course for execution and own project-level outcomes as the senior developer
- Managing project managers and/or analysts as direct reports
- Traveling to and representing BlueWave at community and public hearings as required (including night meetings)
- Interacting with landowners, permitting authorities, engineers and consultants to advance development execution
- Understanding current and prospective NY retail and bulk storage incentive program guidelines and NYISO market fundamentals and their impact on storage project development strategy and execution, with a particular focus on transmission-scale projects
- Presenting project-level spend at internal Investment Committee meetings to advance projects and release funding
- Working with the Grid Integration team to set utility strategy on project-by-project basis and for the overall market
- Assisting the Project Finance team in closing relevant project financing events including project equity, debt and asset sales
- Monitoring relevant industry, federal, state and local standards relating to storage system deployment
- Representing BlueWave in interactions with investors, regulatory agencies, contractors and utilities
- Utilizing our project management, document control and MIS tools to control and report on project progress
- Becoming familiar with all project documentation, regulatory requirement milestones and monitoring project progress against those requirements
- Collaborating/coordinating with other teams at BlueWave
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s degree a plus
- Minimum 7 years of relevant professional experience developing solar, storage or other energy projects
- Significant experience with energy project financing and/or construction
- Familiarity with New York state energy policies and incentives
- Proficiency in modeling project economics and proformas
- Ability to manage multiple projects in various stages
- Valid U.S. Driver’s license
- Must be able to perform site visits that include rocky/sloped terrain.
- Advanced Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint skills
- Familiarity with Salesforce CRM and NetSuite a plus
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Self-starter that can catch up to speed quickly
- Strong knowledge of solar PV technology and design principles is a plus
- Experience in engineering and/or construction of energy storage facilities a plus
- Able to think creatively to help streamline operations
- A great attitude and the ability to be flexible
BlueWave is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and will do so by actively seeking to hire and promote diverse individuals throughout the company.
Providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment is critical to our identity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, handicap (disability), sexual orientation, gender identity/ or expression, genetics, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, military status or obligation or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.