FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Product Quality Manager II (PQMII) is responsible for assuring conformance to the Product Development Process (PDP). In this role, the PQM II will meet with the individual functional leads and task managers to ensure all items are complete, and that objectives have been accomplished for pre-determined Milestone/Phase Reviews (Toll Gates). The PQM II is responsible for coordinating, facilitating, and documenting the status during the review, distributing minutes, and achieving approval signoffs.
- Coordinates and facilitates cross functional Milestone/Phase Review Meetings.
- Verifies all objects required for each Phase/Gate are complete to the level required.
- Captures, documents, and distributes for approval the Review minutes, and release documents.
- Communicates project status to management via “Health Charts” or another format.
- Assists Product Engineering in development and approval of test plans for design verification and product validation.
- Assists Product Managers in developing visual criteria for a given product and ensures that requirements are communicated to appropriate team members and departments, including the supply base.
- Coordinates with cross-functional teams to ensure proper and adequate flow down of customer requirements into the FNA specifications and test criteria.
- Communicates expectations and requirements of the PDP process to each functional area, to ensure alignment.
- Acts as the customer for random sampling and testing.
- Executes activities during Project Safe Launch, including all tracking and reporting responsibilities.
- Leads transition of each new product from Product Development to Production Warranty system.
- Works with the Project Management Office (PMO) to ensure a thorough Lessons Learned exercise is completed, filed, updated, and referenced at the beginning of associated PDP projects.
- Assists activities of Advanced Supplier Quality Assurance in support of supplier development, from sourcing through First Article Approval.
- Assists with management and deployment of risk management tools for manufacturing and suppliers.
- Reviews and approves the Safe Launch Plan for purchased product as well as internal processing and pack/ship activities.
- Works with other PQMs, Supplier Quality Engineers, and Quality Engineers to ensure adequate coverage support for all component quality issues, based on priorities.
- Approves the termination of the Safe Launch process and releases to production.
- Other duties as assigned.
A four-year technical degree is highly preferred.
Three years of work experience in manufacturing, and specifically in Quality, Product Engineering, Operations, or Project Management is required. Nine years of experience is required without a degree.
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate accountability, collaboration, communication, customer focus, and innovation. Additional requirements of this position include:
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Monitoring – Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Learning – Understanding the implications of new information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Problem Sensitivity – The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Deductive Reasoning – The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Inductive Reasoning – The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events)
- Category Flexibility – The ability to generate or use different sets of rules for combining or grouping things in diverse ways.
- Flexibility of Closure – The ability to identify or detect a known pattern (a figure, object, word, or sound) that is hidden in other distracting material.
- Preference: Working knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Preference: Experience reading blueprints and drawings
- Preference: Experience with Corrective and Preventive Action systems or processes
- Preference: Audit Experience
- Preference: Working knowledge of SharePoint
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to learn additional systems (MRP, Reporting Systems, etc.) for the purpose of data retrieval and analysis.
Certified Quality Engineer, PMP, or Manager of Quality desired.
This position is performed in a manufacturing plant environment with possible exposure toxic or caustic chemicals, wet or humid conditions, and work in high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Must be able to frequently lift and move up to 25 pounds unassisted and up to 70 pounds with assistance.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please email HR@FNAmerica.com or call: 803-736-0522. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor