Reports To: International Climate Director
FTE Status: 1FTE
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: February 15, 2023
Closing Date: March 8, 2023
Are you passionate about data, climate, and health? Health Care Without Harm is looking for a skilled data scientist, with experience in health care sustainability and climate, data analysis, interpretation and visualization. They will work globally with partners, health facilities, and governments in the continuous development of data systems, tools, carbon management and sustainability plans. They will bring a high level of organization, initiative, creativity, and strategic orientation to make our climate and sustainability initiatives a success. They will also demonstrate an ability to build capacity in non-technical staff to understand data analyzed and presented.
Health Care Without Harm (HCWH) seeks to transform health care worldwide so the sector reduces its environmental footprint and becomes a leader in the global movement for environmental health and justice. We believe health care, as the only sector with healing as its mission, has an opportunity – and obligation – to use its ethical, economic, and political influence to create an ecologically sustainable, equitable and healthy world. HCWH in the U.S. works to achieve its mission in collaboration with its sister organization, Practice Greenhealth , the leading nonprofit membership and network organization for sustainable health care that delivers environmental solutions to more than 1,500 hospitals and health systems throughout the United States and Canada.
The Climate and Sustainability Data Scientist will work globally with partners, health facilities, and governments in the continuous development of our data systems, tools, carbon management and sustainability plans. They will bring a high level of organization, initiative, creativity, and strategic orientation to make our climate and sustainability initiatives a success. They will also demonstrate an ability to analyze and visualize data while building capacity in non-technical staff to understand and interpret data analysis.
The Climate and Sustainability Data Scientist will play a central role working with the global team, regional offices and strategic partners, to ensure that the Climate Impact Checkup Tool, Hotspots tool, and other technical resources in our data systems are up-to-date and that those who are using them have the necessary knowledge and skills to use them. Their work will focus on:
Climate Metrics: Leading global team mitigation and adaptation metrics for health facilities (bottom-up strategy) and governments (top-down strategy)
- Assure the implementation of robust and aligned tools, guidance and activities across the organization to measure and publicly report on health care’s climate footprint reduction, resilience and leadership actions via the Health Care Climate Challenge, and data from Race to Zero participants in coordination with the Climate Learning Initiatives Coordinator.
- Coordinate with HCWH regional offices and partners, as well as other members of the global team to assure their input, and the alignment of measurement efforts and that the tools respond to the demand of both members of the network and of countries committed to low carbon health systems and supply chains in the sector; as part of a wider organizational data strategy.
- Develop a data analysis and interpretation strategy that includes visualization for quantitative data and qualitative analysis of case studies, in collaboration with the Climate Learning Initiatives Coordinator and the wider network.
- Manage all reporting, data analysis and data visualization for data input in the system. Monitor regular reporting from participants, data aggregation and articulation in a timely, consistent and impactful manner.
- Monitor data quality and completion, as well as any issues in the system, coordinating with the IT and data team to continuously develop and maintain the data system, based on feedback and issues encountered, or improvements needed to follow our strategies.
- As data entry increases, determine benchmarking requirements and select cases for further analysis
- Assure external alignment and collaboration with health systems, academic and international institutions that are measuring or reporting on health care and climate change.
Capacity building: internal and external strategies to create systemic change
- Lead capacity building efforts with regional offices/teams, partner organizations and with global staff to ensure internal and external understanding of available tools.
- Support the international climate director and regional climate managers to use data in decision-making, strategy development and in work planning
- Work with governments, both through regional offices and partner requests as well as those directly engaging with the global team to put together capacity building strategies based on country plans to implement commitments.
- Supporting the promotion of the use of the tools, engaging with both facilities and governments as needed.
- Work with the international climate director in developing a capacity building strategy that extends beyond governments and the Global Green and Healthy Hospitals network - including academics, students, researchers, and private consultants.
Representation and team work
- Work as an integral part of the HCWH worldwide team, offices, and partners taking action on climate as a leader in the network
- Publicly represent HCWH at various fora, in collaboration with all teams
- Support and help develop other key aspects of the climate program, while collaborating with other programs in the global team.
- Work with an interdisciplinary and multicultural team, based throughout the globe, in different time zones.
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree. Combined experience/education as a substitute for minimum education.
- Minimum Experience/Knowledge: implementation of GHG protocol standards, science-based target initiatives, and/or carbon accounting. Experience in building and delivering capacity building activities.
- Preferred Experience: Strong data analysis and visualization skills, including in Excel and Tableau; data architecture and strategy;
- Preferred Field of Expertise: Familiarity with issues related to climate, health and/or environmental sustainability. Knowledge of health facility operations or supply chains.
JOB-SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to think strategically and creatively while organizing time efficiently.
- Strong cross-cultural competency. Experience working in the global south is preferred.
- Fluency in English. Additional languages, especially Spanish, are a plus.
- Ability to travel and work in multiple time zones, outside of regular business hours
- Ability to remain attentive to details and identify resources for projects while maintaining deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully within a team including members and partners as well as the ability to work independently.
- Able to quickly adapt with minimal coaching to new situations, processes; ability to adapt style to meet the needs of individuals and/or the organization.
- Fluency in MS Office Suite.
What’s In It For You?
- Work for an organization where the mission is inspiring, and your colleagues care deeply for the mission and the network of people carrying out that mission.
- Play a key role in helping drive growth, influence impact, and advance efforts to create a more sustainable health care sector and community.
- Be part of an inspirational global network.
- Company paid time off.
To Apply or Inquire
Health Care Without Harm and Practice Greenhealth are committed to cultivating and sustaining culturally and ethnically diverse organizations, and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We believe that systems can only be transformed when a diversity of voices, perspectives, and lived experiences are a part of the movement for change. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in addressing systemic racism within our organization and to serve the mission of the organizations in respectful ways. Health Care Without Harm/Practice Greenhealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, upload a cover letter along with your resume via this link. Questions can be addressed to email@example.com. Only competitive candidates will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process. Closing date to submit applications, resumes and/or cover letters is on March 8, 2023.