Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive employee benefits package includes health insurance with vision and dental plans, life insurance with AD&D, ST and LT disability, generous paid time off, 401k plan, and investment in career development.
Salary Range: $60,000 – 88,000
Job Type: Exempt
Location: ArtWorks Administrative Office, 2460 Gilbert Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45206
Reports to: CEO & Artistic Director
Start date: as soon as possible
About ArtWorks: Now in its 27th year, ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that has pioneered public art and economic impact throughout the region to create community-based public art that provides career opportunities for artists of all ages. ArtWorks works alongside community leaders to build civic pride with art that beautifies the region, creating jobs for more than 300 artists annually, including young artists ages 14-24, working in a signature apprentice program, to earn a living wage. The economic empowerment and mentorship that ArtWorks provides leads to upward mobility, which is critically important for young people who come from a majority of under resourced and underemployed neighborhoods and households. Since 1996, ArtWorks has employed over 4,000 youth and 3,500 creative professionals. The organization has completed more than 14,000 public and private art works of art, including public sculpture, light-based installations and more than 250 permanent outdoor murals, contributing to the region’s global reputation as an arts destination. Now headquartered in Walnut Hills, ArtWorks is part of the burgeoning arts district in Cincinnati’s historic second downtown. Learn more at artworkscincinnati.org.
ArtWorks seeks a Senior Director of Marketing Communications to lead the strategy, planning and execution of marketing and communications to advance the organization’s mission to create community-based public art that provides career opportunities for artists of all ages.
This is an exciting opportunity to impact an amazing organization and support its growth, building on its strategic plan. This role is a key leader in the organization with an important external presence to community. This role is a member of the executive leadership team and works closely with peers, the CEO and the board of directors. This role is responsible for the development and implementation of marketing and communications strategies and public relations activities, both external and internal. The role will coordinate the marketing and communication efforts with other functions of the organization and ensure they support the goals of the department and organization. Each year this organization produces dozens of public art and community projects and hires hundreds of artists. This role will determine which stories are shared and how to celebrate and uplift the amazing impact for artists as well as the community-based outcomes.
Brand strategy, rebranding and website redesign will be signature projects this candidate leads. The organization will have an exciting groundbreaking event in 2024 as it moves into a new home in Walnut Hills and opens an ArtPark across the street. New signage will be developed as well the need to build widespread awareness for a new arts facility and growing arts district.
The candidate will be responsible for building a support team of staff and contractors in the functional areas needed: copywriting, photography, video, graphic and web design. A willingness and desire to work with young artists and alumni for creative content is essential. A fulltime support staff position is planned for this department as well as budget for additional contract support. The ideal candidate will be resourceful, proactive, and collaborative. This individual will be a spokesperson with tactical ownership of the marketing and communication plan. They will be responsible for writing and editing high-quality and compelling communications that effectively reach diverse communities while supporting the brand identity of the organization.
· Plan and develop key messaging and storytelling priorities annually, seasonally and monthly
· Develop and implement institutional and program-specific marketing and communication plans and campaigns in support of annual programming and fundraising priorities
· Create, edit and oversee creation of messaging and content in support of key branding strategies across ArtWorks’ website, email, e-newsletter channels and social media
· Lead ArtWorks earned media campaigns including proactive local PR efforts and media strategy to tell our story via press relations and other communications platforms
· Collaborate with other organizational functions to ensure all information shared externally is correct and published in a timely manner
· Maintain calendar to ensure advance promotion of ArtWorks and audience development, representation and participation across key community events
· Track audience across social media, earned media and public event participation.
· Lead brand standard development and trainings so that brand standards are upheld across all publications
· Ensure communications are culturally competent and reach diverse audiences.
· Oversee the development, design, distribution, and maintenance of high-quality print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to annual report, brochures, presentations, photography, videos and newsletters.
· Develop, implement, and evaluate an annual marketing and communications plan that includes social media, print and digital content, and email marketing, set smart goals to share with leadership and to measure departmental progress.
· Manage a department staff of one and outside creative vendors as necessary to support creative projects and design related to brand, website, merchandise development and more
Qualifications and experiences:
· Commitment to ArtWorks’ mission, values, culture and Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Accessibility Plan
· Preference is master’s in marketing, communications, public relations, or journalism or may consider equivalent job experience
· Minimum 8 years’ experience in the field strongly preferred
· Demonstrated track-record of successful planning and execution of multiple large impact projects
· Proven ability to build strong media presence and grow brand awareness
· Experience managing employees and contractors a must
· Nonprofit/arts marketing experience preferred but not required
· Must be willing to work outside of normal business hours when needed
Skills and abilities:
· Builds effective relationships through formal and informal networks, internally and externally
· Collaborates by building internal and community partnerships with shared objectives
· Champions diversity that recognizes the value of different perspectives and cultures
· Embraces changes by adapting approach and demeanor to match the shifting demands of different situations
· Is resourceful in securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently
· Plans and aligns work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
· Communicates effectively in a variety of communication modes – groups, 1-1 and virtual
· Excellent organizational, problem-solving and decision-making skills
· Excellent writing and editing skills and ability to develop message tracks and key talking points for others
· Demonstrates strong public speaking skills and ability to coach others on public speaking
· Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and information management systems
· Adhere to ethical behavior and business practices
· Be part of an amazing mission and make a mark in transforming the Greater Cincinnati region with public art, building community, and investing in young artists
· Help build a future home for ArtWorks with a site for permanent art studios, gallery, and event space to build a more vibrant community
· Be part of a dynamic and diverse closeknit team that embraces a growth mindset and has fun
· Be part of a collaborative, creative and flexible work culture that is people centered.
· Join a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in community-centered work that creates positive change. Read our full commitment here.
To Apply: with cover letter, resume and references