ArtWorks, an equal opportunity employer, is strongly committed to building and retaining a diverse team that creates an inclusive workplace, which harnesses each voice to collectively advance ArtWorks’ mission.
Job Title: Director of Development
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive employee benefits package includes health insurance, life insurance with AD&D, ST and LT disability, generous paid time off, 401k plan, and investment in career development. Vision and dental provided at employee cost.
Salary range: $52,000 - $70,000
Job Type: Full Time Exempt
Location: ArtWorks Administrative Office, 2460 Gilbert Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45206
Reports to: Senior Director, Advancement
Start date: ASAP
About ArtWorks: Now in its 27th year, ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that has pioneered public art and economic impact throughout the region to create community-based public art that provides career opportunities for artists of all ages. ArtWorks works alongside community leaders to build civic pride with art that beautifies the region, creating jobs for more than 300 artists annually, including young artists ages 14-24, to earn a living wage. The economic empowerment and mentorship that ArtWorks provides leads to upward mobility, which is critically important for young people who come from a majority of under resourced and underemployed neighborhoods and households. Since 1996, ArtWorks has employed over 4,000 youth and 3,500 creative professionals. The organization has completed more than 14,000 public and private art works of art, including public sculpture, light-based installations and more than 200 permanent outdoor murals, contributing to the region’s global reputation as an arts destination. Now headquartered in Walnut Hills, ArtWorks is part of the burgeoning arts district in Cincinnati’s historic second downtown. Learn more at artworkscincinnati.org.
ArtWorks seeks a Director of Development to plan and execute successful fundraising and development activities to advance our mission to create community-based public art that provides career opportunities for artists of all ages.
This is an exciting opportunity to impact an amazing organization and support its growth, building on its strategic plan. This role is a leader in the organization with an important external presence to the community. This role will supervise a part-time Events and Donor Relations Manager and a part-time Development Database Coordinator. The Director of Development will work closely with the Senior Director of Advancement to build a revenue generating program of $3MM+ annually. This role will coordinate development efforts with other functions of the organization and ensure they support the goals of the department and organization.
The ideal candidate will be resourceful, proactive and collaborative. This individual will be a leader with tactical ownership of fundraising plans. Consistent engagement and outreach efforts will be required to build and sustain new and existing donor relationships.
· Serve as a leader in building relationships and support fundraising growth of the organization
· Manage an Events & Donor Relations Manager who implements fundraising events and mural tours, and a Development Database Coordinator who oversees gift tracking and acknowledgements
· Develop and ensure successful implementation of development plans with the highest ethical standards
· Serve as an ambassador of the organization to donors, attending the organization’s events and cultivation meetings and other events; build relationships with community leaders and stakeholders
· Draft and deliver compelling presentations to help elevate awareness of ArtWorks among key donor prospects
· Plan fundraising events with committee leadership and direct all areas of execution
· Achieve revenue targets with ongoing monitoring and regular updates
· Develop and implement plans to identify, cultivate, solicit, secure and steward gifts; determine and deliver donor benefits
· Identify and cultivate corporate partners and individual prospects with giving capacity
· Ensure timely and accurate donor gift acknowledgment and recognition benefits
Qualifications and experiences:
· Commitment to ArtWorks’ mission, vision, values, culture and Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Accessibility Plan
· Minimum Bachelor’s degree required in arts administration, marketing, business, or another related field
· Minimum 3 years of professional development experience
· Successful track record of at least 2 years managing and developing employees
· Experience managing budgets, assigning, and monitoring work, and developing departmental plans in alignment with organizational strategy
· Experience with Event planning and management
· Experience in database management
· Must be willing and able to attend evening and weekend arts or community events
Skills and abilities:
· Builds effective relationships through formal and informal networks, internally and externally
· Collaborates by building internal and community partnerships with shared objectives
· Champions diversity that recognizes the value of different perspectives and cultures
· Embraces changes by adapting approach and demeanor to match the shifting demands of different situations
· Is resourceful in securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently
· Plans and aligns work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
· Communicates effectively in a variety of communication modes – groups, 1-1 and virtual
· Ability to interact confidently and persuasively with individuals and business leaders
· Sophisticated user and interpreter of data; ability to synthesize and analyze data to tell an impact story
· Manage detailed execution with high degree of accountability and excellence in quality of work
· Adhere to ethical behavior and business practices
· Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to exceed their expectations
· Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce as well as proficiency with digital grant making databases, research tools and information management systems
· Be part of an amazing mission and make a mark in transforming the Greater Cincinnati region with public art, building community, and investing in young artists.
· Help build a future home for ArtWorks with a site for permanent art studios, gallery, and event space to build a more vibrant community.
· Be part of a dynamic leadership team that embraces a growth mindset.
· Build and grow an advancement team.
· Be part of a collaborative, creative and flexible work culture that is people centered.
· Join a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in community-centered work that creates positive change. Read our full commitment here .
Apply with cover letter, resume and references.