Status: Part-time, Non-exempt
Compensation: $24.92 per hour
Reports To: Healthy Ways Manager
The Northside Achievement Zone (NAZ) is a bold and innovative collaborative effort to close the achievement gap in a geographic “Zone” of North Minneapolis. The purpose of our work is to end multigenerational poverty in our community, using education as a lever. We use a data-driven, evidence-based, achievement-focused model in which both children and their families move through a “cradle-to-career” ecosystem that provides comprehensive support. NAZ is a leading initiative in the national Promise Neighborhoods and cradle to college/career movement. As NAZ learns what works with families in North Minneapolis to address complex issues related to urban poverty, strategies are being set up for replication and informing the regional, state, and national field.
Healthy Ways empowers children and families to adopt lifelong, healthy habits. Our program aims to improve health outcomes for youth in the community by:
- Preventing childhood obesity and unhealthy weight gain by increasing healthy eating, nutrition knowledge, and physical activity,
- Providing targeted interventions for youth with overweight or obesity, and by
- Creating a culture of health and wellness in the community.
The part-time Nutrition Educator will conduct nutrition and cooking lessons for students and caregivers. This role is part of site-based teams dedicated to implementing Healthy Ways programming at respective sites. The Nutrition Educator reports to the Healthy Ways Manager. This part-time role will work 20-25 hours per week.
- Conduct curriculum-based nutrition education classes/workshops for students, grades PreK through 12.
- Facilitate cooking lessons to teach students healthy recipes, cooking techniques, kitchen tools and equipment, and safety.
- Maintain a positive classroom environment conducive to learning, creativity, safety, and fun.
- For those working with students in PreK-grade 2, incorporate songs, puppet shows, arts and crafts, and a variety of creative approaches to teach healthy eating.
- Advocate healthier eating for students, families, and staff.
- Provide clear classroom instructions, including learning objectives and transitions.
- Provide consistent motivation, enthusiasm, and role modeling for healthy lifestyle choices.
- Gather measurements for height, weight, and PACER fitness test.
- Help create an inclusive and welcoming environment for all individuals in regards to diversity which may include geography, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, immigration status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, sex, age, ability, and religion.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Experience implementing hands-on nutrition education and cooking activities in school based after-school, camp, and/or community-based settings.
- Proficient in nutrition concepts and cooking skills.
- Excellent classroom management and presentation skills.
- Comfortable working in various settings and with diverse populations.
- Team oriented with strong organizational and collaborative skills.
- Animated, energetic spirit and a positive, resilient attitude.
- Adapts well to changes in assignment and priorities with the ability to respond effectively to new information, changing conditions, and unexpected obstacles.
- Must be flexible with lessons to accommodate particular needs of the scholars or environmental circumstances.
- One or more years of experience working with children K-12
- Group fitness or personal trainer certification
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in nutrition, food studies, culinary arts or related field with 1-2 years of relevant work experience. Working knowledge of community nutrition is preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Work includes regular lifting and bending.
- Requires extended periods of standing.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Occasional evenings and weekends are required for special events.
- Limited Travel may be required.
- Vaccine Requirement: NAZ requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be made with Human Resources upon hire.