Status: Part-time, Non-exempt
Compensation: $22.67 per hour
Reports To: Healthy Ways Manager
The Northside Achievement Zone (NAZ) is a bold and innovative collaborative effort to close the achievement gap in a geographic “Zone” of North Minneapolis. The purpose of our work is to end multigenerational poverty in our community, using education as a lever. We use a data-driven, evidence-based, achievement-focused model in which both children and their families move through a “cradle-to-career” ecosystem that provides comprehensive support. NAZ is a leading initiative in the national Promise Neighborhoods and cradle to college/career movement. As NAZ learns what works with families in North Minneapolis to address complex issues related to urban poverty, strategies are being set up for replication and informing the regional, state, and national field.
Healthy Ways empowers children and families to adopt lifelong, healthy habits. Our program aims to improve health outcomes for youth in the community by:
- Preventing childhood obesity and unhealthy weight gain by increasing healthy eating, nutrition knowledge, and physical activity,
- Providing targeted interventions for youth with overweight or obesity, and by
- Creating a culture of health and wellness in the community.
The part-time Fitness Specialist will facilitate daily physical activity for students. This role is part of site-based teams dedicated to implementing Healthy Ways programming at respective sites. The Fitness Specialist reports to the Healthy Ways Manager. This part-time role will work 20-25 hours per week.
- Organize and lead daily physical activity for students.
- Promote physical literacy; the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge, and understanding to value and take responsibility for engagement in physical activities for life.
- Incorporate sports, games, and a variety of other unique and exciting activities in a positive, fun environment.
- For those working with students in Pre-K – grade 2, incorporate songs, dances, active play, and non-competitive games.
- Adapt activities to creatively engage children with various skill sets and interests.
- Implement physical activities in a variety of settings, including small classrooms, cafeteria, and gymnasium.
- Provide clear classroom instructions, including learning objectives and transitions.
- Provide consistent motivation, enthusiasm, and role modeling for healthy lifestyle choices.
- Gather height and weight measurements and facilitate PACER fitness tests.
- Help create an inclusive and welcoming environment for all individuals in regards to diversity which may include geography, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, immigration status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, sex, age, ability, and religion.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Experience implementing physical activities in school-based, after-school, camp, and/or community-based settings.
- Comfortable working in various settings and with diverse populations.
- Team-oriented with strong organizational and collaborative skills.
- Animated, energetic spirit and a positive, resilient attitude.
- Adapts well to changes in assignment and priorities with the ability to respond effectively to new information, changing conditions, and unexpected obstacles.
- Must be flexible with lessons to accommodate particular needs of the scholars or environmental circumstances.
- Two or more years of experience working with children K-12
- Two or more years of fitness instruction
- Group fitness or personal trainer certification
- CPR Certified
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Work includes regular lifting and bending.
- Requires extended periods of standing and assisting others during physical exercise, stretching, etc.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional evenings and weekends are required for special events.
- Limited Travel may be required.
- Vaccine Requirement: NAZ requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be made with Human Resources upon hire.