Join us & find out why Olympia is regularly named a great place to live. Located on Olympia’s East Bay waterfront, the Hands On Children’s Museum is a beautiful, award-winning cultural institution and popular early learning destination for families throughout the Northwest and the nation. As a national Museum for All, Hands On served 325,000 annual visitors (pre-pandemic), with one-third of visitors served through a variety of free and low-cost Access programs.
This position supports the Café Team to ensure the museum cafe operates efficiently, safely and with optimal customer service. Performs daily café operations according to procedures including opening and closing processes, processing sales transactions, food handling & preparation, cleaning, and assisting with inventory. Café Assistants demonstrate excellence in communication and customer service. Our Playday Café offers salads, sandwiches, grilled paninis and quesadillas, soup, coffee, and other grab and go options in a family focused environment. This position will have consistent daytime working hours. Café service hours typically end daily around 2pm, with occasional evening events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 1-year experience in a quick service restaurant, including using POS system.
- Understanding of proper food preparation, storage, and handling procedures.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent initiative and problem-solving skills.
- Able to work independently with limited direction in a fast-paced environment with a great deal of flexibility.
- Ability to work in a team setting with a high degree of daily communication required. Must care about and value the viewpoints of the other team members and organizational mission.
- High School Diploma
Achieving our mission requires great people who actively demonstrate our core values.
When applying, please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references.
Compensation & Benefits: As a leading non-profit, we offer competitive compensation, medical, dental and vision coverage, an Employee Assistance Plan (eff. 3/1/2023), paid time off, paid holidays, a 401(k)-retirement plan, and special perks including museum passes and membership, discounts on preschool, camps, in the Museum Store and Café, and paid parking. Benefits vary by number of regularly scheduled hours worked, length of employment, and employment status. See benefit details for this position here.
Hands On Children’s Museum exhibits, education programs, and employment are available to all without discrimination.