At the Children’s Museum of Denver at Marsico Campus, we believe in kid-powered learning. We work hard every day to create extraordinary experiences that champion the wonder and joy of childhood. To accomplish this mission, we bring together a dynamic team of talented individuals whose passions range from exhibit design to the culinary arts, from developing engaging educational programs to offering only the best in customer service. If you like to work hard and play hard, we want to hear from you! We offer a comprehensive benefits package, competitive wages and a supportive, rewarding and FUN work environment.
The Children’s Museum has an opening for a Teaching Kitchen Specialist to deliver the Museum’s mission by developing and implementing activities and programs that address nutrition, food education, and cooking skills to diverse ages and cultural groups as well as exhibit connectivity to the Denver community of families. The Teaching Kitchen Specialist will directly report to the Teaching Kitchen Coordinator.
Position Specifications: Part-time, 24 hours/week, including at least one weekend day with additional hours as needed to meet business needs for occasional weekends, evenings, holidays and events
Rate: $19.50/hour (additional $1/hour for Bilingual proficiency)
Benefits: A comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage. Paid time-off for vacation, sick days and four holidays. 401(k) Retirement Plan with eligibility to contribute after a 3-month waiting period (must be 21 years of age). Employee assistance program, flexible spending account and short-term disability. Free parking, free family membership to the Museum, discount to the Museum Gift Shop and Café.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Greet and welcome adults and children, engage in conversations, and facilitate guest experiences.
- Actively address guest feedback and work to improve overall guest experience.
- Develop and facilitate play-based, curious and explorative food-based education programs that highlight culinary skills, flavors and nutrition.
- Develop and implement programs based on community partnership and sponsor commitments.
- Coach and train Museum staff and volunteers with facilitation and guest engagement in the space.
- Cross-train and facilitate in other exhibits as needed.
- Support organization, storage, and safety of kitchen consumables (food products), supplies, appliances, tools and equipment.
- Demonstrate all Colorado Health Code compliance measures and ensure all staff are aware of guidelines and best practices for food safety and public health.
- Collaborate with other staff to ensure maintenance and program development in conjunction with our garden and compost
- Strong commitment to the Museum’s mission, vision and values of diversity, equity, access and inclusion.
- Ability to communicate with guests and co-workers in direct, respectful and confident manner.
- Ability to work effectively and accurately in a fast paced environment while maintaining excellent guest service.
- At least 18 years of age
- Fluent English proficiency, strong writing and public speaking skills
- Willingness to become Infant/Child First Aid and CPR certified
- Spanish language proficiency is desired
- Experience planning and/or facilitating activities or programs based in nutrition, food education and/or culinary skills
- Connection to community partnerships, networks and resources in related field
- Experience in early childhood education, non-formal education and/or family learning
- Experience in planning and/or facilitating activities or programs based in gardening and/or composting
Please note: Proof of COVID-19 vaccination status or submission of a weekly negative COVID-19 test results is required. Requests for reasonable accommodations will be considered.
The Children’s Museum of Denver at Marsico Campus is an equal opportunity employer. The Museum is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff committed to serving the needs of all our visitors and we encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds.