JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant III, Education Programs
SUPERVISOR: Chief Education Officer
Pay Grade: 5 Pay Grade Range: $45,300- $72,600
The Gulf of Maine Research Institute (GMRI) develops and delivers collaborative solutions to global ocean challenges. We are dedicated to the resilience of the Gulf of Maine ecosystem and the communities that depend on it. To learn more, visit gmri.org.
The Administrative Assistant (AA) will support the team responsible for designing and delivering GMRI’s programming for formal and informal educators and youth across the state of Maine and the Northeast. This dynamic group develops curriculum and resources, and conducts professional learning, for teachers, librarians, and informal educators working in contexts that range from classrooms to land trusts and 4-H clubs. The AA will provide general administrative support for the team but will have a particular focus on supporting our busy calendar of community engagement. We strive to provide excellent customer service for the educators in our programs and will continue to expand that network through a variety of funded projects over the coming years.
With that in mind, the kinds of support the AA will provide include both outreach activities (e.g., managing email lists and deploying email marketing, social media posts) and the administrative tasks that are associated with community engagement events (e.g., arranging locations and food, processing paperwork and payments for participants, documenting events through photography and storytelling). The AA will be an integral part of a busy team and the ideal candidate will have a strong orientation to meeting the diverse needs of a broad array of constituents, and exceptional sensitivity to communicating respectfully and effectively with a wide range of GMRI constituents. They will also thrive in an environment with a wide variety of tasks and will be inspired by supporting the team as we help the emergence of the next generation of ecosystem stewards.
This position is full-time and located at GMRI in Portland, Maine. The position will involve some travel to support events happening in locations across Maine.
- Support program staff responsible for the design and execution of high-quality events for our constituents. This includes support in maintaining an accurate events calendar, securing off-site meeting locations, and arranging catering.
- Collaborate with GMRI staff in Finance and Administration to assure participant paperwork and payments are completed accurately and in a timely fashion. This includes arranging packets of required IRS forms and payment vouchers and tracking their completion before and after events and programming.
- In every contact, upholding the highest level of excellence and respect in all communications and interactions. Becoming a model of customer service
- Contribute to outreach and recruiting activities through multiple mediums and platforms (email, social media, etc.). This includes updating our constituent database after each event or program.
- Contribute to maintenance and upkeep for Education program web sites
As administrative support for GMRI’s Education department more generally, the EA will also:
- Assist with scheduling, communication, and logistics for the Education group (e.g., department meetings and retreats, hiring committee processes) as well as externally facing program events (e.g., teacher professional development institutes, project partner retreats and gatherings).
- Assist the Chief Education Officer with basic tasks of the office such as scheduling, expense reports, and materials needed for the GMRI Management Team meetings and reports.
- Collaboration with other GMRI administrators on organization-wide topics, scheduling, communication, and events.
- Complete general administrative tasks as needed.
Required skills and experience include:
- Five years of administrative experience
- Exceptional communication skills in all forms and contexts, verbal and written
- Demonstrated self-starter with strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively and to take initiative to solve problems and tackle challenges
- Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, scheduling, internet, Outlook, and knowledge of SharePoint) as well as the Google suite of tools
- Demonstrated ability to attend to detail in the service of achieving larger program goals
- A self-starter capable of and content with shifting between high level projects and the mechanics of efficient administrative work.
- Experience in event logistics/coordination
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently
Other preferred qualifications include:
- Experience with database software, email management, and website maintenance
- Team player with a sense of humor and ability to remain flexible to changing needs.
- Able to setup meeting rooms, e.g., move tables, chairs, and other light equipment.
- Interest in the Gulf of Maine, coastal communities, science, and education.
Diversity and Inclusion
Gulf of Maine Research Institute has a long-standing policy and commitment to providing equal access and equal employment opportunities in all terms, conditions, processes, and benefits of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. GMRI's employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status.
Applicants and employees are encouraged to voluntarily self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender, disability status and veteran status to assist GMRI in fulfilling various data reporting requirements of the federal government. This self-identification is completely voluntary, will be kept confidential and separate from your application data, and used only to meet federal reporting requirements. Providing or declining to provide this information will not result in adverse action of any kind.
Salary and Benefits
Gulf of Maine Research Institute offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and résumé. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
Per GMRI’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all GMRI personnel are required to maintain full vaccination status against COVID-19, as defined by CDC, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.