Who We Are
Straughan Environmental, Inc. is a successful, rapidly growing, woman owned business that provides high quality and cost-effective consulting services to a wide variety of clients in the governmental and private sectors. Straughan is committed to advancing sustainable and resilient communities. We are experts in environmental planning, design, assessments, and policy. Our staff consists of wildlife and wetlands scientists; geomorphologists and hydrologists, civil and environmental engineers; inspectors; biologists and botanists; planners; cultural resource specialists; and GIS and CAD professionals. This combination of technical expertise and an understanding of policy make Straughan a highly competitive firm and a great place to advance your career.
Straughan is currently seeking a motivated Environmental Scientist to join our Natural Resources Business Unit, based out of our office in Columbia, MD. The position requires basic understanding of environmental field protocols and regulatory requirements; a passion for conducting field work; the ability to communicate clearly and effectively; and the interest in working with a collaborative team to deliver successful projects. Duties may involve supporting projects across business units, including Planning, Noise, and Engineering. This position is for an estimated 20-40 hours per week through May 2023, with the possibility of continuation and/or conversion to full-time, long-term staff.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support wetland delineations and monitoring (vegetation, soils, and hydrology).
- Support Forest Stand Delineations, Forest Conservation Plans, and other plant community evaluations.
- Assist with stream assessments and restoration monitoring (stream pattern and profile).
- Assist with water quality monitoring (water chemistry, groundwater, stormwater, and biology).
- Support data analysis and technical reporting.
- Create/interpret maps for use in the field and reports (GIS, AutoCADD, and/or Microstation).
- Other tasks associated with the Clean Water Act, Maryland Forest Conservation Act, Critical Area Act, and/or other Federal, state, and local environmental regulations and policies.
Education: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Environmental Science, Civil/Environmental Engineering, Geomorphology, or related field
Experience: Open to all levels of relevant work experience. Ability to pass background check.
- Experience with GPS devices and/or various water quality modeling tools.
- Proficiency using GIS, including experience with geodatabases, collecting/importing/manipulating data, creating mapping, and using related field equipment
- Proficiency in MicroStation or AutoCAD
- Experience with environmental regulations, permitting, and policy.
- Experience preparing wetland permit applications and regulatory approval documentation.
- Strong working knowledge of wetland, stream, and forest ecology.
- Construction experience.
- Desirable certifications: MBSS, PWS/PWIT, ISA CA, QP, LTE, Green/Yellow Card, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position as required by applicable law.
- Physical ability to perform outdoor field work and in unpleasant field conditions
- Must be able to traverse various types of terrain for extended periods of time
- Physically able to conduct inspections and carry equipment used for inspections
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
As a condition of employment, Straughan employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 except those for whom are legally entitled to an accommodation. Proof of vaccination will need to be submitted as part of the interview/hiring process.
Straughan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status