Job Title: Adoption Counselor I
Reports To: Customer Care Manager, Adoptions Supervisor, Animal Services Practice Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Adoptions Counselor I, under the direction of the Customer Care Manager and Adoptions Supervisor, will deliver excellent service by assisting the public with specific adoption service needs, answering questions and concerns, and providing accurate information to clients. Individuals in this classification represent Sacramento SPCA philosophies and procedures to the public and are expected to maintain a positive and compassionate environment for those individuals visiting or calling the Sacramento SPCA.
Essential Job Functions:
- Greet and welcome each and every client into the Adoptions Lobby.
- Deliver excellent customer service to all clients, staff, and volunteers.
- Project warmth while actively engaging with members of the public.
- Strive to provide education to clients, as well as recognize opportunities to further professional growth and education.
- Answer client phone calls and emails in a professional manner, as well as assisting members of the public in person, while seeking out opportunities to make meaningful relationships and leave lasting impressions.
- Be comfortable quickly and accurately utilizing the SSPCA’s internal data and record keeping software in order to provide transparent and relevant information regarding the available animals for adoption, as well as working in a fast paced environment in order to minimize client wait time and provide excellent customer service.
- Accurately and efficiently process all front desk paperwork to finalize adoptions.
- Confidently read and verify medical history of animals before releasing them from the SSPCA to an adopter.
- Possess the knowledge necessary to discuss the responsibilities of pet ownership, provide information about adoptable animals, and explain the adoption process to shelter guests.
- Proactively seek opportunities to educate customers, staff, and volunteers about animal adoption, welfare, and lifestyle considerations when choosing a species to adopt.
- Responsible for knowing which animals are available for adoption and having the ability to communicate the temperaments and behaviors of these pets.
- Possess the ability to stay calm, collected, and maintain composure in occasionally high stress situations and environments.
- Have the ability to multitask and to follow through on several assignments or tasks simultaneously.
- Communicate principles that convey and impart an understanding of the philosophies and procedures of the SSPCA to the public with compassion and candor.
- Possess the ability to continuously advance compassion and remain calm when dealing with fueled or emotionally charged situations and interactions with members of the public.
- Work collaboratively within a team that is dedicated to saving lives daily.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Treat all animals humanely, with compassion and concern, and transmit these values to others.
- Keep records of and respond to voicemails that are left by clients on the Adoptions phone line.
- Perform efficient data entry, recordkeeping, filing and other reception duties.
- Assists with special events, including those held off campus, and occasional fundraising as needed.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws, as well as all of the employer’s safety policies and rules. Must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety hazards to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively with the public, fellow employees, management, and volunteers, as well as other agencies and groups that work in conjunction with the SSPCA.
- Consistently advance compassion and patience towards members of the public, fellow employees, management, and volunteers.
- Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
- Must be able to utilize email as a primary means of communication, including the use of spreadsheets, scheduling adopted animal rechecks, and scheduling surgeries and other medical procedures.
- Type and enter data at a rate of 35 words per minute.
- Ability to read and retain instructions, short correspondences, and memos.
- Possess a valid California Driver’s License with a clear driving record for at least one year prior to application.
- Basic computer skills using standard office programs such as Word and similar programs.
Education and Experience:
- High school graduate or GED equivalent with 6 months related animal care experience and/or training.
- One year experience in providing excellent customer service.
- Basic animal care knowledge is preferred, including knowledge of domestic animals in regard to breeds, behavior, appropriate care and housing, common health problems, disease symptoms and handling techniques
- Any allergic condition that would be aggravated from exposure or through contact with animals or chemicals used to sanitize facilities, vehicles or equipment, may be a disqualification.
- Must stand, walk, bend and stoop frequently to perform duties. Have the ability to perform prolonged strenuous physical activity, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds alone or up to 100 pounds with the help of fellow employees for short distances.
- May be exposed to hostile or abusive members of the public. Must be able to provide compassion and empathy with an often times emotion-charged public.
- Deliver excellent service while carrying a fast-paced and changing workload, which at times can be stressful.
- Occasional exposure to harsh weather conditions such as heat, rain, wind, and cold.
- By nature of the industry, there may be occasional exposure to dead, injured, sick, unruly, vicious, and/or dangerous animals in addition to exposure to parasites and infectious diseases.
- Must be available and willing to work weekends, holidays, overtime, and attend mandatory training and meetings as the employer determines are necessary or desirable to meet its needs in providing excellent service to the public and shelter clients, as well as internal staff and volunteers.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees, but are not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Either employer or employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without notice and with or without cause.