Job Title: Garden In A Box Event Staff
Employer: Resource Central; Boulder, CO
Job Status: Seasonal; Part-time or Full-time; Non-Exempt; April 27 - June 12
Reports To: Senior Program Coordinator/Program Manager - Garden In A Box
About Resource Central
We’re an award-winning nonprofit based in Boulder determined to make conservation so simple that people don’t even realize they’re doing it. Founded in 1976, our innovative programs have helped more than 700,000 people save water, conserve energy, and reduce waste. Learn more at: ResourceCentral.org.
Candidates with a commitment to incorporating diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility practices and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from a range of social, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Water is one of the most important issues facing Colorado, and Resource Central leads residents to practical solutions that empower them to use less water. Resource Central helps people across Colorado learn about and practice water conservation and sustainable landscaping through a variety of popular conservation programs and in partnership with over 40 water providers.
Garden In A Box Event Staff are on the front lines of water conservation by playing an essential role in the distribution of waterwise plants to customers across the Front Range at various distribution events scheduled throughout May and June. As an event staff team member, you will load, organize, and transport event supplies to the outdoor event locations, lead event setup/cleanup, train and lead volunteer groups, unload and organize gardens, and ensure accurate order distribution throughout the duration of the event. Lifting and carrying of garden flats is expected.
This is an in-person role that involves driving to the Resource Central Boulder office and to event locations throughout the Front Range in four main service regions: Northern Colorado, Boulder, Denver Metro, and Colorado Springs. Hours can vary and range from four to five days per week. The exact start and end date may be flexible. The compensation is $17.50/hour, Additionally, you are eligible for mileage reimbursement, paid training, and sick leave. If you are passionate about conservation or gardening and enjoy working outside this may be the job for you!
The essential duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate waterwise garden distribution events to ensure safety and efficiency.
- Provide exceptional customer service to customers, volunteers, vendors, and partners during events and troubleshoot customer concerns as needed.
- Prepare, organize, load, and unload event materials to/from vehicles.
- Unload and organize the delivery of gardens from nurseries.
- Manage on-site volunteers by providing training and oversight throughout events.
- Communicate knowledgeably and effectively with program customers about all of Resource Central’s programs; provide information by answering questions and requests.
- Print, label, and prepare printed materials.
- Assist in additional organizational and event prep tasks as needed.
- Participate in regularly scheduled meetings in-person, via Zoom, and/or on the phone.
- Cultivates a strong sense of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lift 30 pounds, walk three miles, lift, and bend repeatedly throughout an eight-hour shift, up to five days per week.
- Familiarity/experience in gardening or working events is a plus, but not required.
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem-solve required.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively in a team environment required.
- Ability to lead and train groups of staff and volunteers required.
- Outstanding customer service; ability to maintain a positive attitude required.
- Basic computer, iPad, and smartphone skills are preferred.
- Reliability while working independently and in teams is required.
- Ability to safely work outdoors in all kinds of weather including high temperatures, rain, and snow required.
- Availability on weeknights and Saturdays is required.
- To qualify for driving responsibilities, applicants are required to be 21 years of age by April 27, 2023.
- A valid driver’s license, automobile insurance, daily access to a reliable automobile, and a smartphone with a data plan are required.
- Must pass a background check and driving record evaluation if offered a position.
- COVID-19 vaccination required.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Resource Central is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on
job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job, without regard to age, sex, sexual orientation, race,
color, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, military status, gender expression, genetic
information or any other classification protected by applicable state or local law. It is our policy to maintain
a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment, or bias based on these grounds.
Resource Central is a 100% COVID-19-vaccinated workplace, as allowed for by the U.S. Equal Employment
Opportunity Commission. Proof of vaccination will be required upon acceptance of a job offer. Job applicants
with religious and disability-related objections will be given reasonable accommodations