The Ruth Mott Foundation is recruiting for a Seasonal Landscape Assistant within the Horticulture Department located at Applewood Estate in Flint, Michigan to assist with maintaining Applewood’s living collections including its gardens, lawns and natural areas as well as delivery of public programs. This position will work up to 40 hours per week spring through fall, not to exceed 1,000 hours per year.
- Assists with preparation, planting, harvesting and maintenance of annuals and perennials, lawns and woody plants, including watering, mulching, pruning and pesticide application as directed by staff.
- Push mows, weed whips and cleans up walks, drives and stairs within the fence.
- Assists with programs for the public including guided tours, set-up, tear down, and interaction with guests.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Ability to properly use grounds hand tools and mechanized equipment.
- Passion for working outside and 2 years of experience maintaining a landscape.
- Must be able to obtain Michigan Commercial Pesticide Applicator's license with Ornamentals certification within 90 days after hiring.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals from all sectors of the community and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to work occasional evening and/or weekend hours.
- College degree in Horticulture, Floriculture, Botany, Landscape Design, or Environmental Science desirable but not required.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT DEMANDS:
Ability to walk up and down stairs; bend, stoop, kneel, walk and stand for long periods of time; to pull/push, lift and carry up to 55 pounds on a regular basis; and to reach both above and below shoulder height. The nature of the work requires the ability to work in both indoor and outdoor environments in varying temperatures and weather conditions. Ability to use loud and physically demanding hand tools/machinery (protective gear is provided).