The Ruth Mott Foundation is accepting applications for a Seasonal Visitor Experience Specialist within the Education & Events Department located at Applewood Estate in Flint, Michigan to assist in coordinating all aspects of the Visitor Experience at Applewood, including, but not limited to house, garden and group tours, exhibits, reservations, book sales, information requests, field trips, programs, and events. Provides exceptional customer service to all visitors, volunteers, and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates, and in the absence of the Manager of Visitor Services and the Assistant Manager of Visitor Services & Volunteers, manages the daily visitor experience operations during open hours at Applewood Estate (Applewood is open May – October, Thursday-Sunday).
- Supports and implements all procedural guidelines related to visitor services. Provides feedback regarding procedures to Manager of Visitor Services.
- Collects and enters visitor data in appropriate documents or software.
- Collaborates with appropriate staff to recommend on-site signage, wayfinding, and other forms of communication to help guide, educate and inform visitors.
- Assists with coordination of visitor logistics related to participatory educational programs, tours, exhibits and events.
- Helps clean, organize, and maintain inventory of visitor experience related resources and supplies, as well as visitor, volunteer, and storage spaces.
- Facilitates tours of Applewood and educational programs based on provided trainings and research of the collections and Mott family legacy to ensure accurate and inspiring interpretive programming.
- Supports training for staff and volunteers in the areas of site content, safety procedures, customer service, equity, inclusion, and accessibility.
- Supports Assistant Manger of Visitor Services & Volunteers in conducting volunteer orientation sessions to share Foundation vision, mission, and values, set expectations and explain Applewood policies and safety procedures.
- Support Foundation and community needs and engage the public in meaningful ways at both on- and off-site events.
- Works closely with volunteers, security, and education teams to carry out daily operations.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Prior museum, cultural organization, or teaching experience preferred.
- Experience with computer programs such as Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals from all sectors of the community and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with people from different cultures and backgrounds, with colleagues, community-based organizations, and Mott family members and to be appropriately discreet about the Mott family collection.
- Ability to be flexible, accurate and detail oriented.
- Valid driver’s license.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT DEMANDS:
Ability to walk up and down stairs while carrying objects up to 30lbs; bend, stoop, and lift to move materials; to pull/push, lift and carry up to 55 pounds on a regular basis; and to reach both above and below shoulder height. The nature of the work requires the ability to work in both indoor and outdoor environments in varying temperatures and weather conditions. Must be reliable and able to work weekends during open season and some evenings. Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time. Tolerance of dust and mildew (protective gear provided).