Who We Are
Straughan Environmental, Inc. is a successful, rapidly growing, woman owned business that provides high quality and cost-effective consulting services to a wide variety of clients in the governmental and private sectors. Straughan is committed to advancing sustainable and resilient communities. We are experts in environmental planning, design, assessments, and policy. Our staff consists of wildlife and wetlands scientists; geomorphologists and hydrologists, civil and environmental engineers; inspectors; biologists and botanists; planners; cultural resource specialists; and GIS and CAD professionals. This combination of technical expertise and an understanding of policy make Straughan a highly competitive firm and a great place to advance your career.
Straughan Environmental, Inc. is seeking to add a qualified Junior Accountant to our growing team. An exceptional candidate will demonstrate experience with accounts payable, cash receipts and receivables, payroll processing, preparation and entry of journal entries, account reconciliations and a general understanding of month-end closing procedures and US GAAP. The position will play an important role in supporting upper level managers and senior accountants in preparing accurate and timely monthly financial reports for Executive Management. The candidate may be required to work additional hours on occasion to meet both accounting and regulatory deadlines.
This is a Hybrid position and requires 2 to 3 days a week in the corporate headquarters in Columbia, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain accounts payable, ensure timely payment of invoices, confirming validity of the debt and gathering appropriate approvals
- Recording ACHs and misc debit transactions
- Maintain and reconcile company credit cards and prepare documentation for review
- Assists with accounts receivable, processing checks for deposit
- Process bi-weekly payroll to include adjustments for new hires, terminations, pay rates, benefits, expense reimbursements and other related items
- Run Labor Distribution reports from Unanet software and tie to payroll reports
- Prepare and enter bi-weekly Payroll journal entry to Unanet GL
- Assist with various month-end project accounting reports supporting documentation
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations
- Ad-hoc reports as required
- Complete special projects as assigned
Education: Associate’s degree in accounting, finance, or demonstrated work experience
Experience: 1+ years of relevant professional experience
- Working knowledge of Unanet GovCon Financials Software
- Experience with third party vendor payroll processing
- Competent Excel skills to include pivot tables
- Meticulous attention to detail with superb organizational skills
- Must be able to handle confidential material with discretion
- Ability to prioritize and organize efficiently and work to deadlines
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Familiarity with US GAAP
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance (approaching graduation acceptable)
- Competency in MS Office
- Certified Payroll Professional (in process acceptable)
- Familiarity with State/Federal contracting
- Experience with project-based accounting
- Familiarity with cost-plus, time and materials, and fixed-price contracts
Due to the nature of this position, all candidates must agree to a comprehensive background check.
Candidates may be required to complete an assessment of both accounting and Excel abilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position as required by applicable law.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds at a time.
As a condition of employment, Straughan employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 except those for whom are legally entitled to an accommodation. Proof of vaccination will need to be submitted as part of the interview/hiring process.
Straughan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.