Braver is on a mission to solve the twin crises of access to care and quality of care in the child anxiety epidemic. We believe all anxious kids should get help, help that actually works.
We build on a decade of work by co-founders, child psychologist Abbe Garcia, PhD and child psychiatrist Brady Case, MD, getting exposure therapy out of offices and into the real world, where we can see and act on the avoidance behaviors and family interactions that perpetuate anxiety. Our innovative care model enables our team to work alongside kids and families in homes, schools, and wherever anxiety lives. We believe the most effective care for our patients is delivered through a blend of field visits, telehealth sessions, group therapy and family sessions. To ensure maximum reach and impact, our doctors and clinicians are supported by a team of Mobile Exposure Coaches, by the proprietary technology of our Braver mobile app, and by a collaborative and caring work environment.
Our Core Values
- Be Real – Come as you are. The willingness to be vulnerable and make mistakes creates opportunities for curiosity, joy, delight, connection, and purpose.
- Choose the Challenge – Seek worthy risks. Every situation, even ones we find difficult, creates choices, and each choice is just the first step of many on a longer journey. We strive to create chances for all of us to choose our challenges, rise to the occasion, and set new goals in new ways. We all can do hard things.
- Reinvent the Rules – Some rules need to be reimagined, reformed, or rewritten altogether. We question rules, challenge the status quo, and devise alternatives.
- Raise the Standard – Mental healthcare for anxious kids is usually unavailable and rarely offers what we know works best. We set the bar higher to help kids and families, serve as an example of what more effective, accessible, sustainable care can be, and prove that good care leads to good outcomes.
About the Role
We are looking for Child Behavioral Psychologists to join our team of passionate and dedicated professionals who are working to improve the lives of kids with OCD and Anxiety. Psychologists at Braver provide supervision of and direct clinical services for child and adolescent patients with anxiety disorders at the outpatient level of care. Core responsibilities include:
- Evaluate new patients and develop comprehensive treatment plans.
- Supervise a team of bachelor’s-level Mobile Exposure Coaches who deliver a significant portion of the direct patient care in the field. Supervise Coaches in daily group sessions and in individual Coach supervision and mentorship.
- Facilitate and observe group patient therapy sessions.
- Lead and engage in family therapy sessions.
- Review and evaluate Braver Challenges and other content in the Braver mobile app.
- Collaborate with the Braver leadership team and colleagues to continually enhance and evolve our methodologies and technologies as we grow and strive to achieve our mission.
Successful Child Behavioral Psychologists at Braver will have the following:
- PhD or PsyD degree from an accredited institution.
- Licensed as a psychologist in Massachusetts and/or Rhode Island (or licensed in another state and willing to become licensed in MA and/or RI).
- Experience treating children and adolescents with anxiety disorders using exposure therapy (preferred, not required).
- Commitment to evidence-based psychotherapy.
- Comfort with learning and using new technologies.
- Desire to work in a collaborative, non-hierarchical team environment.
- Passion for our mission and an ability to be nimble and thrive in a fast-paced start-up atmosphere.
Location and Schedule
This is a hybrid role. Delivery of virtual treatment and other team collaboration can be conducted remotely from the psychologist’s home. Some work will be required to be conducted onsite in our East Providence, RI office and/or a future location in the MetroWest Boston Area. Given the outpatient nature of this work, and the fact that children and adolescents will be in school during the day, it is necessary to periodically attend and supervise group therapy that takes place in the evening (i.e. between 6 and 8:30 pm) with the day’s start time adjusted accordingly on those days.
What We Offer
Braver offers competitive compensation as well as a generous benefits package including a 401k plan with company matching and immediate vesting, medical insurance with employer contributions, as well as a robust Paid Time Off (PTO) package. Our hybrid model blends the ability to perform work in the comfort of your home while also coming together regularly for in-person engagement and relationship building with colleagues and patients.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Braver is an open and welcoming place to work, and we value diversity in all its forms. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.