The Collections Specialist is responsible for all aspects of rent collection & Landlord / tenant relations. Monitors resident ledgers, delinquency reports, uncollectible rent, and uncollectible other income reports. Provides coaching to site team members for rent collection techniques, resident communication, and reporting. Works directly with Financial Managers to create and implement rent collection programs aimed at meeting and exceeding rent collection and uncollectible rent/uncollectible other income goals. Acts a liaison between landlord and outside legal counsels. Assist with filling and following up on all legal matters (evictions, non-compliance…etc.)
Resident Inquiries and Financial Matters
- Issue letters and call residents re: arrears before referring to LLT Counsel
- Respond to resident inquiries re: case status
- Respond to resident inquiries re: ledger matters
- Liaise with Accounting Staff re: ledger matters
- Analyze resident ledgers for accuracy and suggest and adjust as needed
- Research and resolve payment discrepancies/resident’s queries as needed
- Track and enforce payment plans and consents
- Responsible for overseeing the preparation and delivery of resident communication to encourage timely payment of charges due and facilitate the collection of delinquent accounts.
- Establish, oversee, and participate in the implementation of a “new resident” orientation program for all assigned properties, with the objective of setting clear expectations regarding the lease requirements, as they relate to payment of rent.
- Oversee and participate in resident meetings to review account balances, rent court status, delinquency history, and any topics related to their ability to meet the financial obligations of their lease agreement.
- Monitors Delinquency Memos as a tool to oversee collection process on multiple sites and enters memos when directly acting on a specific resident account.
- Responsible for the timely filing of failure to pay rent complaint and warrant of restitution with the court as well as scheduling the eviction with Sheriff or Constable’s office.
- Provide case management and oversight for Landlord Tenant functions
- Ensure landlord tenant cases are moving forward with court timeline
- Confirm with Management cases to move forward with law firms for nonpayment cases/ holdover
- Work with CM to gather documentation to commence nonpayment and holdover cases
- Ensure all affidavits are executed by the appropriate parties and sent to outside counsel
- Review monthly attorney bills for any discrepancies, account review and validation of charges
- Upload court stipulations and update tenant record/files on Yardi
- Update court disposition on Yardi with any relevant court dates
- Track warrants and evictions and update tenant record/files on Yardi
- Other related duties, as needed
- Gather and provide all necessary documents for DHCR complaints/cases required by outside counsel
- Update shared DHCR files
- Upload DHCR court documents and correspondence to Yardi
- Maintain accurate report of DHCR cases
- Update reporting on legal cases in Yardi
- Maintain monthly report on all outstanding severed rents and fees
- Run monthly arrears reports for new rent demands
- Update tenant’s status on Yardi
- Prepare other reports as needed
Documentation for Access and Repair Issues
- Update CM with repair requests and access dates required by court stipulations
Form Notices and Form Agreements
- Send out initial notices for nonpayment (5-day notices), as needed
- Assist CMs and ACMs with standard notices for lease violations
- Prepare payment agreements
- Prepare early termination agreements with appropriate review by counsel
- Prepare riders with appropriate review by counsel
- Prepare concession agreements with appropriate review by counsel and guidance from CM, AM
- Prepare surrender agreements for move out inspections
- Prepare other agreements, correspondence as needed
To perform the job successfully, the following skills and/or experience is required to qualify for the position.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in legal administration.
- Knowledge of the NYC residential market
- Knowledge of NYC landlord laws
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Great Customer Service skills
- Able to learn and work with property management applications
- Quick learner and great attitude
- Able to effectively present and information and respond to questions from management, vendors, and associates.
- Adhere to tight deadlines and quick turnaround for deliverables.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic environment where adaptability is imperative.
- Strong written and oral skills.
- Accurate with a strong attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Fairstead is a purpose-driven real estate firm dedicated to building sustainable communities across the country. Headquartered in New York, with offices in Colorado, Florida, Maryland, and South Carolina, Fairstead oversees a $7.8 billion portfolio in assets and identified pipeline, and owns and manages more than 170 communities across 28 states. Fairstead’s commitment to communities is realized through a comprehensive platform that leverages in-house expertise in acquisitions, development, design and construction, marketing, and property management. Fairstead also implements some of the industry’s most proactive sustainability, resiliency, and community impact programs to foster positive social, economic, and environmental change. In 2022, the company launched Fairstead Ventures, a proptech investment initiative dedicated to fundamentally changing the standards in the housing industry with a focus on energy and decarbonization.
Fairstead’s primary mission is to provide high quality housing to all regardless of income, and to make our stakeholders feel “Right at Home.” We accomplish this through an empathetic and innovative approach, and by utilizing our interdisciplinary platform as an investor, developer, owner, and operator. Fairstead provides hands-on expertise across all multifamily disciplines, including acquisitions, development, design, construction, energy, sustainability, property management and social services. With a long-term commitment to its residents, communities, and partners, the Fairstead team stands out by:
- Listening to and understanding the needs of its residents, communities, partners, and stakeholders alike
- Developing and preserving high quality affordable housing in an innovative and sustainable fashion
- Creating a positive social and environmental impact within the properties and communities it serves
Fairstead’s Core Values