At GBBN, architecture goes beyond buildings, because positively affecting people is the most important thing we do. We believe in the intersection of Design, Market and Technical expertise. Our vision is to be a firm sought out by the best and most creative talent and clients who share our passion for the role design plays in their own competitive transformations. This journey we are on fuels us every day to design better, think better and collaborate better. National recognition isn’t something that’s bestowed—it’s earned - every project, every day.
While most firms are a planning-led design process, GBBN employs a design-led planning process that capitalizes on integrated, holistic thinking of Design and Planning to develop the best solutions for the client challenges.
The Medical Planner serves a critical role in bringing Market expertise to the team and is responsible for guiding the creation, development, and implementation of medical planning for complex healthcare systems, consistent with the client program, budget, schedule and GBBN design standards. This individual should be enthusiastically engaged in leadership for activities centered around programming, master-planning, design, and medical planning.
Medical Planning – understand the interconnectivity of the HealthCare environment and leverage design to positively affect the patient and provider experience
· Develop insights and guidelines to drive the project Design solution and guide the team throughout the project.
· Lead Clients and team through the process from a place of confidence and knowledge, establish expertise; proactively plan the process.
· Demonstrate proficiency in clinical processes across major inpatient and outpatient departments, serving as the main point of contact for the client on all medical planning issues.
· Lead research, complete data analysis, and develop reports.
· Provide overall programming, master planning, medical planning, and design.
· Demonstrate an understanding and empathy for patient and staff experiences to maximize a quality experience and environment.
· Lead discussions with end-users to outline process flows and critical adjacencies of clinical rooms and departments to define medical equipment plan needs.
· Strategize, prioritize, develop, and lead Post Occupancy Evaluations (POEs).
· Guide necessary research to provide a thorough understanding of client needs, leading to responsive design solutions.
· Synthesize multiple perspectives to develop an informed point of view that influences the work in new and different ways.
· Maintain a familiarity with the current planning metrics utilized across different medical departments.
Project Leadership – lead the team in incorporating medical planning insights and strategies throughout all phases of the project
· Create a strong partnership with the Project Designer to co-create a design solution that solves the client’s business challenge.
· Guide the team and the Client in gathering insights and information to inform the project goals; mine for rich, meaningful insights go beyond the initial answer to understand the core issue.
· Act as a steward of design intent, remaining vigilant throughout projects to ensure that design goals are maintained and undiluted throughout project lifecycle.
· Engage clients in discussions that respectfully challenge and expand their ideas about appropriate design solutions; create the environment for open, candid discourse.
· Foster an environment with a commitment to team collaboration and meaningful design.
· Develop a comprehensive understanding of a client’s program requirements, standards, and policies for incorporation into an effective design solution.
· Manage the deliverables for the medical planning team within the greater project deliverable schedule, providing plan layout of clinical spaces and medical equipment.
· Bring an innovative and forward-thinking lens to the work; be a champion for integrating new techniques and new concepts into the process.
Business Development & Thought Leadership – mine relationships and increase visibility of GBBN in the industry and community.
· Establish and maintain close relationships with clients in partnership with Market Directors and Project Managers to win new and repeat business.
· Identify trends in the healthcare industry and formulate the impact to our value proposition.
· Establish national recognition of expertise through speaking engagements, publishing articles and client experience.
· Assist in preparing proposals and other collateral materials.
· Participate in or lead presentations for acquiring new work.
Qualifications and Skills
· Passionate about HealthCare and improving the experience through a demonstrated approach that is rooted in evidence-based design and research.
· Expertise and deep understanding of the different HealthCare segments: institutional, ambulatory, and business occupancy environments; inpatient and outpatient.
· Expert in regulatory guidelines, codes, and operations of various HealthCare departments in order to effectively navigate and bend the rules to develop breakthrough solutions.
· Familiar with the areas of Salutogenesis and Biophilia and their role in the HealthCare Design process.
· Naturally curious, always seeking new approaches.
· A confident, insightful, and concise communication style.
· An outstanding presenter, able to clearly articulate Design choices and rationale to clients in a manner that brings others along on the journey.
· Collaborative and consultative in approach, working effectively with Market Presidents, Project Designer, Clients, and project teams.
· A natural multi-tasker who is comfortable managing competing priorities.
· Committed to advancing sustainability and resiliency through the work.
· Proficient in technologies related to field (such as: Revit, SketchUp, Affinity, FlexSim, Microsoft Office, etc.).
Experience and Education Requirements
· Bachelor's or Master's degree in Architecture or Interior Design at an accredited university required.
· Professional licensure in Architecture or Interior Design is preferred.
· EDAC certification desired.
· Advanced credentials desired (e.g. ACHA, LEED, etc.)
· 7-12 years of Medical Planning experience focused on a variety of healthcare projects - new acute care or ambulatory facilities, additions, or renovations and/or large-scale complex healthcare campuses required
· Ability to prioritize and concurrently service multiple projects.
· Must be willing to travel.