The mission of Onward We Learn is to prepare and inspire young people in Rhode Island to become the first in their families to attend and complete college. From the time they join through their early years of college, participants experience the steady, nurturing presence of caring adults and participate in programs that focus on academic enrichment, personal development, career exploration, and college preparation.
Onward We Learn encourages people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply, particularly Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC); those who are the first in their family to attend college; LGBTQIA+ community
Purpose of the Position
The Bilingual Financial Aid Specialist will play a crucial role in assisting students and their families in completing Federal Student Aid (FSA) IDs, Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), CSS Profile form, and other college-related tasks. This position requires a high level of knowledge and expertise in the financial aid process, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate effectively with families and staff in a timely manner. We seek dedicated individuals committed to providing excellent support to our families, helping them confidently navigate the financial aid process, including the new FAFSA process.
Participate in Mandatory Training:
- Attend all required training sessions related to the Financial Aid process, including updates on the new FAFSA process and changes in financial aid regulations.
Assist Students and their Families with FAFSA Completion:
- Explain the Financial Aid process, timeline, and necessary follow-ups, and address any questions or concerns with families.
- Help families create FSA IDs and accurately complete the FAFSA form and CSS Profile (if applicable) within the specified deadlines.
- Conduct one-on-one sessions with families during Onward Financial Aid events and/or appointments to explain the financial aid process, including the new FAFSA process, complete the necessary forms, and support through any needed follow-ups (i.e., FAFSA verification, CSS Profile IDOC, etc.).
- Work closely with undocumented families to complete the Rhode Island Student Success Application (RISSA).
Regular Communication and Reporting:
- Maintain regular communication with the Associate Director of College Admissions updates on progress, discuss any challenges, and collaborate on solutions.
- Keep detailed and organized records of all interactions with families, ensuring the confidentiality and security of sensitive information.
- Track key factors as indicated by the organization.
- Maintain meeting notes and systematically track outcome data, interactions, meetings, and progress with students and families.
- Stay up to date with the latest changes in the financial aid process by Onward We Learn and promptly share this information with families as needed.
- Bilingual Required: Spanish, Cape Verdean Creole, and French
- Knowledge of the financial aid process and hands-on experience completing a CSS profile and FAFSA form.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to convey complex information clearly and concisely.
- Exceptional organizational skills, capable of working independently and managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Attention to detail and commitment to maintaining accurate and confidential records.
- Availability to conduct one-on-one sessions with families outside of regular business hours during pre-scheduled events, accommodating their schedules and needs.
Date: 10/12/23, 12/1/23, 12/8/23
Hours: Varies (8 hours combined between the three sessions)
Meeting with staff point
Hours: 1 hour per week as needed
Dates: TBD (January 2024)
All Workshops are scheduled from 5 pm-8:30 pm. Staff must arrive early for preparations.
One-on-one FAFSA Appointments
Hours: Depending on your availability