STOKED ON HENHOUSE BREWING!
HenHouse was founded in 2011 in Sonoma County. Our purpose is to produce an amazing and rotating line up of awesome beers with an uncompromising and fearless pursuit of our goals; which are creating new and interesting types of delicious beers with freshness and quality in the forefront, creating meaningful and living wage positions, and to make a difference in our community. Our talented team is committed to making, selling, delivering and serving beer with this intention and purpose in mind.
JOB TITLE: Sous Chef
LOCATION: Fairfax, CA
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
FLSA STATUS: Full-Time/Exempt
SALARY: $62,400 yearly ($2,600 semi monthly)
BONUS: up to $12,500 annually
The Sous Chef will be the second in command in our kitchen and will use their culinary and managerial skills in order to play a critical role in maintaining and enhancing our customers’ satisfaction and the quality of our menu. When the executive chef is absent the sous chef will be responsible for all of the administrative and creative aspects of the executive chef’s job.
PRIMARY SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
This is not an exhaustive list of all job functions. All employees are to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a respectful manner. Within the HenHouse team, our members always find ways to look after the business, their co-workers, and the beer!
- Help in the preparation and design of all food and drinks menus
- Produce high quality plates both design and taste wise
- Ensure that the kitchen operates in a timely way that meets our quality standards
- Fill in for the Executive Chef in planning and directing food preparation when necessary
- Resourcefully solve any issues that arise and seize control of any problematic situation
- Manage and train kitchen staff, establish working schedule and assess staff’s performance
- Order supplies to stock inventory appropriately
- Comply with and enforce sanitation regulations and safety standards
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers
- Ability to step-in in the head chef’s absence. This will include working with purveyors to maintain the supply of all necessary ingredients, as well as scheduling, staffing, and budgeting.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is a retail/bar atmosphere with outdoor weather conditions and a moderate to loud noise level.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Position is salary. HenHouse offers competitive wages, initial wage to be determined based on experience. You'll get to work in a fun, fast and stoked work environment. Benefits include: comprehensive health insurance (medical, vision, dental), life insurance, pet benefits, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), 401(K), paid time off (PTO), and more!
JUSTICE, EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSIVITY (JEDI)
We strive to create workplaces that reflect the community we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. We believe that every person brings a unique perspective and experience which enriches and advances our mission to provide Meaningful Employment, Improved Beer Quality for the End Consumer and to Create Wealth for Our Community.
- Proven experience as a Sous Chef or the equivalent for at least three (3) years
- Understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures
- Excellent record of kitchen and staff management
- Accuracy and speed in handling emergency situations and providing solutions
- Familiar with industry’s best practices
- Working knowledge of various computer software programs (MS Office, restaurant management software, POS)
- BS degree in Culinary science or related certificate would be a plus
- Accuracy and speed in executing assigned tasks
- Familiar with industry’s best practices
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace
- Bilingual skills a plus
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Creative, flexible, and innovative team player
- Passion, enthusiasm, focus, creativity, and a positive outlook
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must demonstrate moderate computer and smartphone skills
- Google Suite proficiency, preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Responsible Beverage Server Certification
- Must have a CA required Food Handler Certification
The traditional methods of performing job functions for this position are reflected below. Reasonable accommodations may be made when such accommodations do not create an undue hardship.
- Must be of legal drinking age (21 years of age) due to exposure and manufacturing of alcohol on the premises
- Ability to taste and describe a wide range of foods
- Regularly required to use hands, arms, and fingers to reach, lift, grasp, carry, open/close, chop, slice, cut, seal, etc.
- Must be able to smell
- Ability to communicate in a clear, understandable speaking voice, capable of communicating vital business information to internal / external contacts. Accurate and clear vision and hearing
- Able to lift/carry/move up to 30 pounds
- Ability to remain standing for extended periods of time. Job duties of this position are primarily performed from a standing position with significant customer interaction
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance, kneel, talk and hear
Regularly: Stand; Walk; Sit; Use hands to finger, handle, or feel; Reach with hands and arms; Stoop, kneel, crouch; Talk or hear; Taste or smell;Vision: No special vision requirements