Through our shared values and culture of professional team service, we engage and inspire the Aggie Network to support Texas Aggies and perpetuate the Aggie Spirit. We seek an individual to join a highly motivated team in selflessly advancing The Association of Former Students’ noble mission through the creation and distribution of compelling and engaging written and visual content.
We’re looking for a communicator who can jump in and begin contributing right away to our print and digital channels. If you are a strong writer and editor who can create appealing content, manage projects, provide enthusiastic customer service and would enjoy being involved with Texas A&M-related activities while being a collaborative part of our team, we encourage you to apply. Our team values innovation, collaboration, focus and accountability; there’s room to try new approaches that make sense. We do excellent work for a really good cause and are looking for someone who wants to do the same.
Please note that when applying for an opportunity, the application will need to be completed in its entirety all at once. You will not be able to save your information and return to complete your application.
Perform specific tasks in support of Communications objectives.
- Write, develop content, research and edit materials for communication channels including Texas Aggie magazine, Association marketing emails, AggieNetwork.com, social media, newsletters, news releases and other channels.
- Prepare obituaries of former A&M students for Texas Aggie magazine and AggieNetwork.com, and provide compassionate customer service to the survivors of the deceased.
- Create, review and publish content through The Association’s email marketing platform and train others in the use of the platform. Analyze the effectiveness of email campaigns to improve effectiveness of future communications.
- Help manage The Association’s social media: creating content, driving engagement, cultivating community and monitoring trends, reactions and comments; providing customer service.
- Stays current on best practices and technological developments in the field of communications.
- Provide customer service to customers in person and via email, telephone and social media.
- Contribute to special events and projects, including event marketing, biographies, historical exhibits, Resource Guide, Traveling Aggies catalog, special purpose videos and Annual Fund appeals.
- Work closely with other communications staff to support The Association’s overall strategic marketing and communications goals.
- Perform administrative and clerical duties including correspondence and database/webpage updates.
Participate in and provide input on various Association-wide activities.
- Actively contribute to efforts to achieve culture, engagement and fundraising goals.
- Provide on-site event support for Board and Leadership Council meetings.
- Participate on internal event and task committees.
- Participate in Association events including, but not limited to, Muster, Aggie Ring Day, Reunions, Distinguished Alumni Gala, Pass It Back Day, All-Aggie Grad Party and All-Aggie Hullabaloo, as needed.
Serve as an ambassador for The Association.
- Meet our Team Expectations.
- Support The Association’s marketing, communications, and branding initiatives.
- Foster relationships with students, former students, parents, faculty, staff, and friends of Texas A&M.
- Attend external events on behalf of The Association, as directed.
Other duties as assigned:
This description of expected duties is neither all-inclusive nor permanent. Team member may be required to take on additional duties without notice.
The Association of Former Students is a team, and each member of the team is important to the overall success of the organization. To achieve our goals and mission, each team member will:
- Display a positive, customer-focused attitude and treat all individuals with courtesy and respect.
- Manage each customer experience with the highest level of service and enthusiasm. Seek opportunities to exceed expectations and develop lasting relationships.
- Make innovative contributions by proactively challenging current practices and suggesting and implementing improvements.
- Contribute to our team environment by being a productive, supportive and reliable teammate. Take responsibility for their actions and the outcomes produced.
- Lead with a positive example and in doing so, inspire others to fulfill the expectations of our team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Required: Strong written communication skills. Customer service skills. Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others. Working knowledge of standard office equipment, including Microsoft Word. Ability to operate a keyboard, telephone and camera.
Preferred: Thorough understanding of The Association’s purpose and goals, and its strategies for accomplishing these goals. Knowledge of Texas A&M and its history and traditions. Ability to organize concurrent projects, manage time and meet deadlines. Familiarity with software/platforms including web publishing and content management, spreadsheets and design/graphics tools. Creative and analytical abilities to improve communication campaigns and strategies.
Strong commitment to the mission and vision of The Association of Former Students, with the ability and desire to serve as an advocate for the organization and Texas A&M University. High energy level and intrinsic motivation. Occasional travel, including overnight stays, weekends, and evenings, in support of Association events.
Required: 2+ years professional experience in communications, marketing, advertising or public relations; mastery of English grammar; proven, creative written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
Preferred: Professional experience writing news or feature articles and editing to fact-check and clarify copy. Familiarity with Associated Press style. Experience with social media and creating visual media content, such as graphics, photos or videos.
Required: Bachelor’s degree.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or English. Graduate of Texas A&M University.
Received: Digital Communications Manager, Director of Communications.
Given: Communications Student Assistants.
*** Required for consideration: Applicants for this position must upload a letter of interest and additional writing samples with the online application. Your letter of interest should address why you are the right person for this position and why The Association of Former Students is the right place for you. Writing samples must be original work and should demonstrate the depth and breadth of your writing skills. ***