REPORTS TO: Director of Data & Analytics
STATUS: Exempt, salaried, full-time
LOCATION: Chicago, Illinois
ABOUT ALL CHICAGO:
All Chicago prevents and ends homelessness through emergency financial assistance, community partnerships, data analytics, and training and research. We manage the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) database, which contains data on Chicagoans experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness and the services they receive. Our team supports more than 900 individual users at 91 partner agencies with training, reports, and helpdesk services. We analyze and disseminate the data to drive discussion, set strategy, and make policy and funding decisions on the federal and local levels. Learn more at www.allchicago.org.
The Lead Data Analyst plays an essential role in developing the most effective means for enabling leaders and community partners to access and act on data from HMIS when addressing the issue of homelessness. The Lead Data Analyst extracts, transforms and analyzes data that is then shared in the optimal manner. Data can be shared as raw details, reports or dashboards and other visualization tools. The needs of the community are evolving and the Lead Data Analyst helps ensure that the HMIS team shares data through accurate and innovative means.
This position is a vital member of an interdisciplinary teams both within All Chicago and amongst community partners. In addition, this position will supervise, mentor, and guide other All Chicago data analysts.
An ideal candidate will have strong data analysis and problem-solving skills for delivering high quality solutions on time and on budget. Strong technology, analytical and communication skills are necessary traits. The Lead Data Analyst will analyze current implementation and define best practices or areas to improve business processes. Day to day activities will include managing one or more direct reports and working closely with project leads, analysts, infrastructure, and database staff to ensure project activities are aligned with architectural and functional objectives.
Data transformation and analysis (approx. 70%)
- Create detailed reports and other tools to help address the priority areas for understanding and addressing homelessness.
- Develop plans to continued work on analyzing trends and system needs along with innovative means of sharing outcomes or findings.
- Enhance reporting capabilities for users to assess their own data and have tools for understanding compliance issues and needs for their funding requirements.
- Provide ongoing data quality analysis and reporting oversight as a member of the Analytics Team. Develop new and improve existing interactive data visualizations.
- Understand the business requirements and technical language and work with developers to write and read complex queries within SQL/Python Web/Data Warehouse platform.
- Develop content for a cloud based reporting platform.
Relationship building (approx. 25%)
- Work closely with internal and external users and project leads to identify ways to provide necessary data and reports and to understand and address any challenges.
- Participate and, in some cases, lead data related meetings with both internal and external teams.
- Develop a strong relationship with software vendors to ensure the important flow of updated information and reporting of any system challenges.
- Demonstrate comfort in sharing work and data outcomes in public forums, as needed.
Other tasks (approx. 5%)
- Perform data entry when needed or required.
- Actively participate in staff and team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Computing, Statistics or related fields.
- 2-4 years programming and report-writing experience.
- Familiarity with cloud architectural design, management and monitoring.
- Experience with Tableau or other data visualization tools.
- High-level of knowledge and competency in relational database management systems.
- Experience with Structured Query Language (SQL), Microsoft T-SQL.
- Proficiency with SAP Business Objects Web Intelligence a plus.
- Experience with Tableau or similar BI tool and creating visual representations of data
- Experience Microsoft Power BI and/or SSMS toolset.
- Experience with creating and maintaining technical documentation.
- Good working knowledge/skills with Microsoft Office products including, but not limited to, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access; familiarity with high-level Excel formulas and features (e.g. Macros, VBA) is preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to convey information in a clear and concise manner to groups with varying levels of technical expertise.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and manage changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to be flexible and work hard, both independently and in a team environment.
- Willingness to work occasionally outside of normal business hours and to take on more responsibilities as assigned
- A strong work ethic, integrity and the highest ethical standards are expected.
- This position may require out-of-state travel approximately two times a year.
- Work place is a smoke- and drug-free environment.
- Intermittent travel to off-site locations required.
- Position requires frequent and regular computer and phone use.
- This position requires attendance during regular business hours from 9am to
- 5pm, Monday through Friday. Occasional night and weekend hours are
- required a few times a year.
- All Chicago is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. All Chicago does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws. Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. All Chicago is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package (with some employee contributions) includes medical, dental, vision insurance, and disability. Employer-matched retirement plan. Generous paid leave.
How to Apply:
Apply online with cover letter and resume (required). No phone calls, please.