Come Smile with Us!
Are you a strong leader with insurance pricing and forcasting experience? Are you ready to serve as a key contributer to financial results in a growing company and changing industry?
Delta Dental of Iowa Invites candidates for Pricing and Underwriting Manager to manage the day-to-day activities of the Underwriting team; develop and recommend profitable pricing for all fully insured and self-funded products priced by Delta Dental of Iowa and its subsidiaries; review and approve monthly claims reserves; and monitor and forecast underwriting margins. You will balance market need with cost effective, profitable product solutions that align with the company’s strategic direction. This is an opportunity to drive results in a collaborative way; make sound pricing recommendations that include strong understanding of impacts of both large and small changes; and articulate the big picture while digging into the details and providing detailed analysis.
Why Delta Dental of Iowa?
For your smile. For your health. For your community.
At Delta Dental of Iowa, we’re more than just a dental and vision insurance company. Improving health and wellness is at the center of everything we do. As a not-for-profit, we aim to build stronger communities by investing in actions that promote and improve health. Delta Dental of Iowa invests 40% of our dollars directly back into the communities we serve.
Come see why we are passionate about "Bringing Smiles" to our customers. Our team enjoys competitive pay and benefits, an awesome "One Team" approach, and a company culture that fosters "Exceptional Quality Service" and "Leadership at All Levels." Together, we can make a difference – not only in Iowa but across the country.
Essential Functions and Principal Accountabilities:
- Pricing analysis and rate setting for pooled products including small group dental, individual dental, and vision products to achieve target underwriting margins.
- Annual review and development of manual rate factors used for initial large group dental and vision product pricing.
- Support of timely and accurate regulatory rate filings ensuring department knowledge and compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Analysis of underwriting revenue and margins for all product lines relative to budget levels for communication to management.
- Oversee performance of data analysis and reporting to support sales, finance, marketing, and other areas in their specific business needs.
- Understand the details and dynamics of the markets in which we operate and collaborate to develop strategies and tactics to sustain segment leadership and profitable growth.
- Forecasting of underwriting revenue and margins for annual budget and quarterly forecasting processes utilizing data trends, judgment, and knowledge of environmental factors to reasonability estimate future financial results.
- Collaborate with Provider Relations staff on provider reimbursement schedules and support network growth strategies by providing analysis on expected changes to reimbursement amounts and long-term impact on DDIA.
- Review of monthly unpaid claim liability and IBNR estimates for certain products lines for review with VP and reporting to stakeholders.
- Leadership of underwriting and data analysis staff including hiring, performance management, coaching, and development to enhance performance, build employee engagement and model the organization’s core values.
- Effective communication with internal stakeholders; translating detailed analytic data into concise recommendations for peers and management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college required; Actuarial Science or Math degree preferred.
- Five or more years of pricing, reserving, and forecasting work experience required, strongly prefer experience in health or property & casualty insurance.
- Formal leadership experience required.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel required; SQL experience preferred.
- Ability to perform detailed calculations and independently solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines.
- Strong collaboration skills and philosophy.
- Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA) credential preferred.
- Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA) credential preferred.
Delta Dental of Iowa is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons without unlawful regard of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, individuals with disabilities, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.