FT Staff IUOE-M
Under general supervision for routine, scheduled tasks and direct supervision for more complex tasks, inspects, maintains, tests, repairs, installs, and modifies building exteriors, grounds, and surfaces and all related equipment, fixtures, landscape, and systems at the University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform various landscaping services that include cutting, digging, edging, mowing, planting, removing, trimming, weeding, and applicable clean-up.
- Remove snow from and deice parking lots, porches, roadways, and walkways as needed.
- Perform various surface services that include painting, patching, and striping.
- Repair and service irrigation systems as needed.
- Perform various building exterior and structure services that include roof cleaning, window cleaning, tuckpointing, fence repairs, and decorating.
- Completes work in a timely manner and satisfactorily.
- Performs corrective maintenance, inspections, preventative maintenance, surveys, tasks, and tests of assigned areas, buildings, equipment, machinery, spaces, and systems. Reports findings, discrepancies, deficiencies, and necessary corrective action to management.
- Maintains the proper condition and appearance of areas, buildings, equipment, machinery, spaces, systems, and tools as assigned or directed by management.
- Documents activities, events, and occurrences with work orders, reports, schedules, logs, and journals as directed by management.
- Applies knowledge of general methods, procedures, safety, and techniques of the applicable trade.
- Applies and develops skills in methods, procedures, safety, techniques, equipment use, and tool use of the applicable trade.
- Maintains the inventory of all related equipment, hardware, and supplies.
- Records data for service history, purchasing, and inventory.
- Cleans and leaves area of work in same condition or cleaner than prior to the beginning of work.
- Cleans and leaves area of work in same condition or cleaner than prior to beginning of work.
High School Diploma or equivalent
- At least one (1) year of documented experience in facility or grounds maintenance.
- Experience operating snow removal equipment.
- Aerial Lift Certification
- Fork Lift Operator Certification
- Front End Loader Operator Certification
- Skid Steer Operator Certification
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to follow, read, and understand, directions, drawings, instructions, manuals, policies, procedures, and schematics.
- Proficient in using a computer or mobile device to document activities, attendance, events, and occurrences.
- Knowledge and experience in utilizing tools and equipment safety.
- Job requires repetitively lifting objects such as equipment, fixtures, materials, supplies, and tools under fifty (50) pounds with frequent bending and stooping and occasionally lifting objects over fifty (50) pounds.
- Job requires ascending/descending ladders, scaffolds, and stairs, using equipment or machinery, and traversing over or under obstacles all without restriction.
- Working conditions vary whether indoors or outdoors, and an employee may be exposed to all weather conditions, high levels of heat and noise, confined spaces, dirt, dust, and smells.
Possession of a valid State of Michigan Driver’s License
Commensurate with experience
Monday thru Friday 7:30 am – 3:30 pm
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private University, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University’s mission, diversity, and excellence of its academic community. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.