The Assistant List Planner offers direct support to the Client Service team, creating detailed list and segmentation plans, and source upload documents. In addition, this person maintains reporting for selected clients, updating our internal reporting system and ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the information in the reports. The position requires a deep understanding of technical detail—with capability of working with data independently while interacting with vendors and staff on a sophisticated level. At the same time, the Assistant List Planner must be able to visualize and explain the data in an understandable way to the Account Management Team.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create detailed segmentation plans based on Account Team strategies
- Create source upload summary documents for clients and outside vendors, based on established layouts
- Work with outside modeling vendors, providing regular data for analysis, reviewing established models
- Manage reporting for select clients, including set-up of reports via the user interface, upload of source information, regular updating of response data and quality control
- Participation in regular analytic team meetings
- Engagement with the Analytics team to learn best practices of nonprofit multi-channel direct marketing
- Other duties as determined by the Director of Analytics or Senior Strategist
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly operates a computer and other office equipment and remains in a stationary position, often sitting (or standing if at a standing desk) for prolonged periods; communication is via phone, email, chat, video, and/or in-person with others inside and outside the agency in order to exchange information; repetitive motions may include the wrists, hands, and/or fingers in order to operate computer equipment, copy machines, and printers.
Education, Experience, & Knowledge:
- Minimum years of experience required: 1-2
- In the following areas: Direct response fundraising or comparable field, with demonstrable skills in manipulating data and creating, understanding, and building upon complex, data-driven strategies
- Proficiency in PostgreSQL, PHP, XML or similar
- Required experience & knowledge:
- Microsoft Excel skills with capability to create complex formulas and manipulate large and detailed data sets, using pivot tables and charts
- Knowledge of Tableau
- Familiarity with SQL and basic ability to create simple queries
- Understanding of basic statistics
- Ability to create large spreadsheets — based on disparate data sources — that are well organized and absolutely error free, along with an understanding of how to double-check work without close supervision
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent organizational and project/time management skills
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail, resourcefulness, and high level of accuracy
- Top-notch customer service skills
- Ability to work under pressure, establish work priorities, and multi-task
- Ability to work with short deadlines, and deliver on set milestones
- Ability to establish work priorities
- Ability to consider and evaluate problems and produce viable solutions
- Proactive problem solver and multi-tasker
- Interest in working as a member of a larger team and across multiple projects, clients, and social issues
- A shared commitment to approaching work with a lens of social justice, anti-racism, and anti-oppression
- Interest in progressive issues, including environmental protection and conservation, international aid and development, social justice, anti-racism and anti-oppression, women’s rights, LGBTQ+ issues, electoral politics, etc.
- Additional desired characteristics relevant to role:
- Comfort with networking and participation in industry events, and in building long-term relationships
ABOUT COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
MWD is an employee-owned Benefit corporation. We seek to champion a rewarding work environment where all employee-owners can thrive, in part, through the equitable distribution of compensation and benefits, including:
- A starting salary range of between $51,500 - $56,650, with performance evaluations and review of salary at least annually
- Participation in our Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP), which allows every employee-owner to share in the growth and prosperity of the company
- Employer-sponsored and paid core benefits: Health (multiple carrier options), Dental, Life Insurance, Long-Term Care, Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), employer-matching FSA dollars
- 35% employer share of cost for dependent health insurance
- Additional optional benefits with employee share of cost: Vision, Medical & Dependent Care FSA, Commuter benefits
- 401(k) with automatic employer-sponsored contributions equal to 3% (“automatic” means there is no match—MWD contributes regardless of employee’s deferrals, and there is no vesting period)
- Equalized profit sharing
- Paid Time Off, including:
- 13 company holidays
- Early release every Friday and on days preceding a company holiday
- Vacation time – starting at 15 days per year (increases over tenure)
- Sick Leave – 1 day per month
- Personal time – 3 days per year
- Paid Parental Leave – 6 weeks
- Volunteer Leave – 3 days per year
- Philanthropic Fund with 2:1 corporate match for employee charitable contributions, and other opportunities for staff-directed corporate donations
- Access to industry conferences & professional development opportunities
In 1979, our founder, Mal Warwick, embarked on a mission to work with nonprofit causes, progressive candidates, and political committees who shared our commitment to social justice and environmental action. Over the past 40+ years, in partnership with our clients, we’ve worked to combat the climate crisis and sought to protect the natural environment; we’ve advanced the rights of women, the LGBTQ+ community and other communities who have been marginalized; we’ve fought racial injustice and discrimination; we’ve worked to improve healthcare and food security, fought the AIDS pandemic, advanced animal rights, promoted international development, elected progressive political leaders to office, and the list goes on.
We've also remained equally committed to changing the way the world does business as a Certified Green Business, a California Benefit Corporation , and a Certified Employee-Owned Agency.
MWD is a team of passionate do-gooders, collectively driven by a mission to help progressive organizations build the base for a better world. We activate our clients’ ambitious philanthropic visions through innovative fundraising strategies. And we are an agency of change-makers personally committed to environmental action, giving back within our communities, identifying and disrupting systems of racism and oppression, and maintaining a just and equitable workplace for our employee-owners.
Our Working Locations:
This is a full-time position working from one of the states in which we operate, including California, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington DC, and Washington state.
Our Commitment to Anti-Racism & Anti-Oppression:
Beyond being an equal opportunity employer, MWD is committed to being an anti-racist and anti-oppression organization and we have a zero-tolerance policy for racism, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and oppression of any kind. We are dedicated to the fulfillment of this commitment through our Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion initiatives that connect to every phase of the employee-owner lifecycle, starting with recruitment. We encourage candidates of all identities and backgrounds to apply for positions you believe align with your skill set and current and future interests. And we review applications based on agency need, position requirements, and candidate qualifications without elimination based on race, color, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected status. Read our full statement here.
ABOUT THE HIRING PROCESS:
- Click the "Apply" button below to submit an application and resume.
- Let us know why you’d like to work at MWD and provide any additional information you want us to know about you and why you’re well qualified for the position.
Why do we collect anonymous demographic information when you apply? We believe diversity is key in the success of our mission—cross-culturally competent teams bring a variety of perspectives and strengthen our services. And we take responsibility for attracting and retaining a diverse pool of talent. But we can’t impact what we cannot measure, and we encourage you to self-identify when applying. While you’ll maintain personal anonymity when sharing demographic information, the aggregate data collected helps us better understand who we’re reaching now, and where we can improve.
Candidates can expect the following process:
- First-round screen via telephone.
- Second-round interview via Zoom.
- Check-in call with H/R team member on salary & benefits, and to answer any questions you may have.
- Completion of a brief practical, giving us an opportunity to see you in action and for you to experience a sampling of the day-to-day work of this role.
- Third-round panel-style interview via Zoom.