American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and helped thousands of farm families make a go of it (primarily through programs that increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access). Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that promotes and values diversity, and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
As an integral part of the AFT accounting team, the Senior Accountant will be providing a variety of financial and analytical review services to AFT departments, and project team. Adept in ensuring compliance with accounting principles, with advance excel and system skills, senior accountant will help with the grant management, project reporting and financial reports.
Duties and responsibilities
- Compiling and analyzing project grant financials for RCPP (regional conservation partnership programs).
- Submitting payment request and financial reporting timely and creative thinking to bring efficiencies into the reporting’s.
- Importing Journal Entries after an accuracy review into AFT financial system.
- Making Journal Entries when appropriate or required.
- Applying cash receipt against AR in AFT financial system & facilitate collection of accounts receivable.
- Strategize creation of reports & dashboards.
- Compile year-end reports, work papers to support annual audit.
- Assist to carry out system or process improvements.
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
- Proficient with Excel advanced functions – VLOOKUP, Pivot Tables and Macros.
- Experience with accounting computer systems, and how to use the system to its full capacity.
- Must be knowledgeable of GAAP and keeping UpToDate on ASC changes.
- Skilled and open to learning Intacct, Microsoft Dynamics, Teams and SharePoint.
- Customer service and Strong, verbal, written, analytical and organizational skills.
- High level of ethics, integrity, transparency, and trustworthiness. Keeps commitments, maintains confidentiality.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Demonstrates thoroughness and success with detail work.
- Results-focused: maintains productivity with minimal direction and supervision.
- Strong people skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with individuals and teams.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to individuals at all levels in the organization – including non-finance employees.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance or Business Administration required with 3 to 5 years of experience. A CPA is a Plus.
This job operates in an office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, and phones. Occasional work in the evenings or on weekends may be required to meet deadlines.
Why you should apply
- Be a part of a purpose-driven, committed, knowledgeable, high-performing, experienced and fun team
- A diverse and inclusive work environment
- A cause and mission you can be proud of
- Competitive compensation & benefits
- Remote work opportunities
- Flexible scheduling
Ready to apply? If this job sounds like a fit for you, then click on the ‘apply’ button below. Please answer the screener questions and be sure to include a cover letter and resume to be considered.