About Ayers Saint Gross
Ayers Saint Gross is an internationally recognized design firm with expertise in architecture, planning, landscape architecture, graphic design, interior architecture, and space analytics. Since our founding in 1912, we have built a reputation for designing environments of enduring value. The focus of our expertise and most of our work supports mission-driven clients, particularly colleges, universities, and cultural institutions. Our design approach is inspired by a critical and analytical discourse, a respect for past wisdom, a mind to future potential, and a belief that we have an obligation to leave places better than we found them. Our mission is to engage people and places to create designs that enrich our world. With over 200 professionals, we are headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland with offices in Washington, DC and Tempe, Arizona.
The Architectural Lab Planner is a design professional in a position of project leadership who specializes in the planning and design of both teaching and research laboratory spaces for science, technology, and engineering facilities. This involves understanding the needs and requirements of academic instructors and principal investigators/researchers, creating a functional program, identifying the equipment and facilities necessary for their work, and designing efficient spaces that promotes safety, productivity, and collaboration.
This role comes with growth potential, serving as a Lab Planning Subject Matter Expert and a horizontal firm-wide resource contributing to other projects and staff, and at times leading the programming of multiple, scale-appropriate assignments at a time. The lab planner should have well-developed client skills and the ability to lead assigned staff and external consultants. The qualified candidate will possess strong technical expertise in current and leading-edge lab planning and programming trends of science, engineering, and technology academic and research facilities found in building renovations, interior fit-outs, and new construction.
This position can be based out of either our Baltimore, Maryland, or Washington, DC office locations. The position will be eligible for a hybrid work arrangement with the expectation that approximately 50% of the time will be spent working in an Ayers Saint Gross office, at a client site, or at off-site locations for company-sponsored events as needed.
- Develop new and validate existing lab programs, functional and technical lab design criteria, lab room data sheets, diagrams, test-fits, and specifications for lab furniture, finishes, casework and equipment.
- In coordination with project leadership, manage the planning and programming scopes effectively, including scheduling, lab fit-out construction budgets, value engineering, and constructability.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the design team, including firm and project leadership, other architects, engineers, and stakeholders to ensure that laboratory design plans are fully integrated with the overall building design.
- Ensure that laboratory design plans are accurate, comply with effective regulations, and meet client expectations.
- Conduct site visits and assess existing space availability, understand deficiencies, and understand needs for the lab/program.
- Participate in marketing and business development strategies, pursuits, attend interviews, and other Business Development activities to market lab planning expertise.
- Attend project meetings and travel (as needed) to and from project and client meetings.
- Bachelor of Architecture or Master of Architecture, or BSE in a scientific or engineering discipline. Relevant work experience designing lab fit-outs and/or degrees in laboratory management may be considered.
- Architectural or Engineering license preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience.
- Familiarity with relevant design professional software tools including proficiency in Revit and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Conversant in lab equipment needs and understanding of lab workflow.
- Detail-oriented to ensure that laboratory design plans are accurate, comply with regulations, and meet client expectations.
- Understanding of building codes, safety regulations, and other relevant laboratory safety and design standards, including those established by: OSHA, NFPA, NIH, ANSI, AAALAC, Centers for Disease Control Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories.
- Understanding of laboratory design principles, laboratory equipment and instrumentation, HVAC systems, and laboratory safety protocols.
Why work at Ayers Saint Gross?
- We are a design-driven firm working with exceptional clients.
- We are an employee-owned company, with over 100 years of design excellence.
- We encourage our employees to pursue local and professional advocacy groups.
- We provide the opportunity to help with pro-bono initiatives that bring Architecture to the community.
Ayers Saint Gross is a respected leader in the community offering a highly energized work environment. For additional information and to apply online, please visit our website at www.ayerssaintgross.com.
Ayers Saint Gross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.