The Orthodox Jewish Matrimonial Staff Attorney represents Orthodox Jewish victims of domestic violence in family court and matrimonial cases; supervises law students and pro bono attorneys on contested and uncontested divorces and other family law matters; represents clients in religious tribunal proceedings before Jewish Courts; engages in advocacy on behalf of clients’ within the Orthodox Jewish Community. The Orthodox Jewish Matrimonial Staff Attorney empowers domestic violence victims by providing them with comprehensive, compassionate, holistic legal services through direct representation, community education and outreach and policy and systems-change advocacy. Possibility of part-time.
- Represents Orthodox Jewish victims of domestic violence in Family and Supreme Court cases including: orders of protection, custody, visitation, child support, spousal support, matrimonial matters, and enforcement actions;
- Provides legal assistance and consultations to pro se Orthodox Jewish litigants in matrimonial and family court matters;
- Recruits, mentors, trains and supervises law students, volunteers, and pro bono attorneys in matrimonial and related legal matters for Orthodox Jewish clients;
- Represents Orthodox Jewish victims of domestic violence in tribunal proceedings before Jewish Courts;
- Organizes community efforts to effect policy initiatives and systems changes that benefit domestic violence victims within the Orthodox Jewish communities;
- Attends and participates in interagency conferences and legal/ bar association committee meetings to keep abreast of developments in the areas of pro bono, domestic violence, and matrimonial law;
- Builds relationships/partnerships with law firms, law schools, community based organizations, and other agencies to strengthen our practice and increase the visibility of Sanctuary for Families, and specifically the Orthodox Jewish Matrimonial Project, in the legal and domestic violence communities;
- Collaborates with other entities or organizations serving shared clients;
- Represents Sanctuary for Families on task forces, other political and advocacy committees, and participates in outreaches outside the agency, particularly within the Orthodox Jewish community;
- Organizes and chairs the Orthodox Jewish Matrimonial Project Advisory Council to obtain feedback from collaborating partners on how best to serve Orthodox Jewish clients;
- Handles a caseload of complex and uncontested matrimonial matters;
- Develops and conducts trainings in the area of matrimonial law and domestic violence specific to serving Orthodox Jewish clients;
- Performs any other department or agency-related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor;
- Maintains statistics relating to client services for grant reporting purposes.
- Collaborates with all other projects within legal center and pro bono attorneys on matrimonial issues;
- Supervises pro bono attorneys, interns, and volunteers on matrimonial matters involving Orthodox Jewish Clients;
- Collaborates with Clinical and other Sanctuary staff on divorce or other issues for Orthodox Jewish clients.