Job Title: Paramedic
Reports to: Street Supervisor, et al
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
Employment Status: Full-time
Business Unit: Ambulance
Promptly responds to requests for medical transportation, both emergency and non-emergency, and provides appropriate medical evaluation and care to the limit of his/her certification and training. Professionally interacts with other medical personnel and performs tasks to expedite the transport of the patient where appropriate. Provides accurate written and verbal reports and participates in quality assurance training exercises as needed. Actively participates in promoting the business and supports the business philosophy at all times.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to ambulance calls and provide efficient, friendly, and immediate care then transports the patient to his or her destination.
- After receiving a call from the dispatcher, leaves immediately if the call is unscheduled, or if a predetermined time for arrival is given, leaves in time to be at the patient’s side at the scheduled pick up time.
- Drives the ambulance to the patient’s location using the most expeditious route taking into consideration weather and traffic conditions. Observes traffic ordinances, company policy, and safe practices concerning ambulance operations at all times.
- Upon arrival, parks the ambulance in a safe location to avoid injury to the patient, and employees, damage to the vehicle, and such that traffic is not unnecessarily blocked.
- Provides appropriate medical care as defined by laws and regulations, company policy or medical direction. Places patient on ambulance cot, places the patient in the ambulance, and continues care during transport to the patient’s destination.
- Assists the patient and medical staff at the originating facility and destination as needed to ensure a smooth transition of patient care.
- Completes PCR with full narrative documenting the nature of the dispatch, patient’s condition on scene, all care and treatments provided, including supplies
- Ensures that all necessary forms (PCS, Signature Form, ABN) are completed accurately and timely.
- After each call, restocks and replaces used linens, blankets, and medical supplies used during transport. Follows all pertinent laws regulations and company procedures to clean, sanitize, and check all equipment so that the ambulance is ready to respond on the next call. Maintains ambulance in good operating order at all times, reporting immediately to management any mechanical problems or deficiencies.
- Collects, and records, on forms approved by the company, data required to appropriately bill the responsible party for the ambulance call, and meet state and federal regulations regarding reporting ambulance transport.
- Keeps all data regarding patient medical condition, the company’s business practices and marketing plans and any financial information about the company and patients confidential.
- Attends continuing education and refresher training programs as required by employers, medical direction, licensing or certifying agencies.
- May also be required to perform duties as a Medical Transport Driver (Wheel Chair Van) when assigned by management.
- Accepts additional duties and assignments as needed to meet the needs of the customer and the company.
- Meets qualifications within the functional job analysis.
The physical demands described here are the representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- lift and/or move up to 300 pounds or more with assistance from partner(s)
- grip up to 50 pounds
- push/pull stretchers weighing up to 125 pounds
- repetitively squat
- crawl into confined spaces
- climb stairs carrying 50 pounds of equipment
- reach with hands and arms
- talk, see, hear
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to computer screens using keyboard functions and other hand usage.
**The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.