LandVest is looking for energetic, entrepreneurial, and dedicated professionals for TWO Inventory/Operations Forester positions to serve our clients in Maine. The positions can also include working to assist on other project work within the Division. Initially, the positions involve inventory/cruising work and field work focused on road and harvest operations. As the candidate gains or demonstrates experience, responsibilities will grow to include preparing forest management plans and maintaining existing client relationships.
The positions will report out of our Ashland and Jackman offices with administrative support available in both locations, and across the Maine region. The location of staff’s domicile will be important to minimize travel due to the wide region served by both offices. Occasional overnight and multi-night travel will also be necessary with ongoing inventory projects. Candidates should possess or be willing to obtain a Forester’s license.
LandVest has over 50 years of experience in providing industry-leading consulting forestry services to its diverse clientele. Our staff is providing direction and guidance to always look ahead, use the most advanced forest science and bring about the finest long-term stewardship of our client’s forest resources as we work to meet their objectives of ownership. The staff consult on properties of varying sizes, timber types and varied ownership objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Inventory: Collecting field data, following LandVest cruise protocols, and preparing cruise reports.
• Operations: Field work involving planning and laying out of harvest units, planning and layout of road construction/maintenance activities, marking timber, inspecting active harvest and/or road operations and closeout, maintaining timber sale records, and collecting GPS data.
• Other Field Work: Boundary work, monitoring leases and other recreational uses, and other assigned field tasks.
• Office: Management plan development, project administration, data analysis.
• Other: We are active in certification programs. LandVest is a Group Certified manager under FSC® certificate C120428 covering over +/- 100,000 acres. Successful candidate will be trained to implement LandVest’s Operations Manual and Practices and Protocols that comply with certification and our company standards.
• Bachelor’s degree in Forestry from an SAF accredited program.
• Strong communication skills- verbal and written.
• Ability to problem solve and having a strong attention to detail are essential to these positions.
• Ability to work with a broad variety of internal staff and external clients and colleagues.
• Must be willing to work strenuous days, occasional weekends, outdoors year-round in all weather conditions.
• Inventory/cruising related field experience
• Operations related field experience, with an emphasis on roads, preferred.
• Strong knowledge of and ability to implement mixed northern hardwood, spruce-fir and pine silviculture, planning and supervision of harvest and road operations, cruising, and inventory skills.
• Good computer skills in most elements of Microsoft Office; GPS and introductory GIS skills.
• Reliable and woods ready 4WD vehicle.
Pay and Benefits:
• Salary commensurate with experience and demonstrated skills.
• Benefits include medical, dental, 401K with match, paid vacation and sick leave.
• Incentives paid for generating new work and meeting budgets (profit sharing).
• Expense and mileage reimbursement. Annual stipend for personal vehicle use with appropriate gear.
• Reimbursement for professional dues, licenses, continuing education.