For over 38 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
In this role, you will act as leasing agent for multiple Bellwether properties by responding to telephone and in-person requests for information on vacancies and resident qualification requirements. Prescreen potential applicants for eligibility. Assist applicants in completing rental applications. Prepare resident leases and resident move-in materials. Utilize property management software to track applicants. Submit completed rental applications to Compliance for processing. Assist with receptionist and general office duties in assigned buildings.
1. Prescreen Applicants:
• Conduct prescreening of prospective applicants to determine if they meet income eligibility and other screening criteria.
• Interact in a professional, responsive, and knowledgeable manner with prospective applicants, whether in person or by telephone, providing information, answering questions, and making appropriate referrals.
2. Application Processing:
• Manage Outlook calendar for leasing appointments.
• Assist applicants to accurately complete rental application and required supporting documentation. Explain WSHFC income qualification guidelines and other funding guidelines or restrictions.
• Update application files with progress notes daily, and update Application Status Tracking spreadsheet in each building folder.
• Develop a collaborative system with Site Managers for applications in process, with detailed communication logs to ensure that application files are current.
• Accept screening fees, enter applicants in property management software and process applications including all income verifications and supporting documentation for Compliance.
• Contact applicants for missing or additional information as needed.
• Forward completed application to Compliance.
• Keep applicants, Site Managers, and Maintenance informed of application status.
• Notify applicants of approval or denial via telephone and follow up with letter on denials.
3. Approved Applicants:
• Prepare a security deposit receipt listing the agreed upon move-in date.
• Accept security deposit payments by money order or cashier’s check, provide applicants with a signed copy of their security deposit receipt, and enter in software.
• Approve any cash batches you create in eSite, providing a copy of the approved batch and any payments collected to the Resident Manager for deposit.
• Coordinate with applicants and Site Managers regarding move-in date and time; update Outlook calendar and software.
• Advise Maintenance and Site Managers about any changes in move-in date or time.
4. Lease Signing:
• Prepare lease documents.
• Collect first rent payment, documenting in software, and provide receipt.
• Approve any cash batches you create in eSite, providing a copy of the approved batch and any payments collected to Site Managers for deposit.
• Ensure accuracy of resident accounts in software, including move-in payments, concessions, prorates, lease memos, demographics, etc.
• Using property management software, maintain an accurate resident list and unit vacancy list, immediately updating these with information received.
• Forward necessary paperwork to SHA, if applicable, and follow up with Site Managers to ensure accurate rent rates and recording guidelines for SHA payments.
• Assist Site Managers with weekly posting of ads on Craigslist, utilizing vFlyer and NW Housing Search.
• Track all sources of traffic.
• Assist Site Managers with competitive market surveys at least twice annually.
• Evaluate vacant units to determine potential leasing hurdles, working with Site Managers and Property Managers to establish concessions or adjusting rent levels.
• Occasionally assist current residents with building maintenance issues, such as entering work orders into SharePoint and reaching out to appropriate staff for assistance, during Resident Manager absences.
• Obtain knowledge and skills on HUD policies and procedures to possess general HUD knowledge including, but not limited to, fair housing laws, move-in and tenant initial certification process, and property specific program regulations.
• Maintain confidentiality of applicant and resident information.
• Ensure fair housing, landlord/tenant laws, and Bellwether policies and procedures are fully observed.
• Actively engage in staff meetings, effectively communicating challenges and remaining solution-focused.
• Participate as a team member with Property Management staff to troubleshoot problems as they arise, and suggest/initiate procedural changes as needed.
• Be supportive of overall team and organizational goals, taking on other duties as necessary to accomplish group objectives.
• Display a positive attitude about work activities and the organization. Embrace Bellwether’s mission and values of respect, integrity, community and excellence.
• High school diploma or GED.
• One year prior work experience in apartment leasing or high volume customer service role in the property management industry. Exceptional customer service aptitude, including problem-solving skills and ability to respond quickly and tactfully to customer requests.
• Knowledge of and/or training in Fair Housing Laws and Landlord/Tenant Laws.
• Experience working with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
• Ability to remain calm under pressure.
• Dependable, self-motivated, and organized individual skilled at multi-tasking, meeting deadlines, and producing high quality work.
• Good oral and written communication skills in English.
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team. Positive attitude a must.
• Must be able to type at least 40 wpm.
• Enjoys sales activities, including closing.
• Demonstrated ability to interact with diverse populations.
• Experience in subsidized or affordable housing, with screening and income qualifying applicants.
• Bilingual in English/Spanish, English/Tigrinya, and English/Amharic.
• Prior experience working with property management software.
• Knowledge of Low Income Housing Tax Credit program (WSHFC guidelines) and Section 8 (project-based and tenant-based) applicant processing procedures.
Other Position Requirements:
• Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
• Candidates selected for this position must have a valid driver’s license.
Compensation: $19.00 - $21.25 per hour, depending on experience. Generous benefits