Status – Exempt
Pacteon Group provides one source for best-in-class automation focused on end of line packaging solutions, providing the highest-level customer experience. Through a broad range of robotic and non-robotic equipment, ability to integrate solutions seamlessly across portfolio companies, and full sales and service coverage, Pacteon is uniquely positioned to design flexible and custom solutions for your automation needs. For more information on Pacteon, please visit pacteon.com.
Pacteon Group is comprised of 3 operating companies, Schneider Packing Equipment Company (“Schneider”), Phoenix Wrappers Corp., and ESS Technologies, Inc.. Pacteon has acquired these companies since 2019 and grown at a 12.5% CAGR in the 2019 to 2023 period. Each business operates with a General Manager with a core responsibility for business operations and works in collaboration with the Pacteon CEO, SVP Sales, CFO, and VP Aftermarket along with the GMs of the other operating companies.
Objectives of this Role
The Production Manager will report to the General Manager of ESS Technologies, inc. (“ESS”) and will be responsible for ESS’s day-to-day operating activities that support the business’s production and operational goals. The Production Manager will be responsible for the operational, and production discipline for all of ESS. The Production Manager will partner with members of the ESS leadership team, Engineering team, and Aftermarket team to (1) Implement Best Practices and Processes, (2) Increase Operational Efficiency, (3) Deliver On-Time Shipment and Customer Acceptance, and (4) Improve gross margins.
- The Production Manager will identify and prioritize the key operational and production goals for the business and work closely with the ESS leadership to execute the company vision and translate that vision into tangible performance results. The Production Manager will be responsible for daily operations and production duties and provide leadership to the production team consisting of assembly, electrician and shop support. The Production Manager must be willing to be hands-on, lead by doing, make decisions, take action, and be accountable to ESS delivering on promises.
- Operations / Production: The Production Manager will leverage a highly effective operating cadence, along with key metrics to measure and drive quality performance to drive the business forward. They will be responsible for leveraging best-in-class processes, systems, and tools to drive efficient operations/production with a continuous improvement mindset. These responsibilities include:
- Ensures sound management of production activities while respecting production schedules and deliverables.
- Ensures compliance with objectives related to health and safety, costs, deliverables, and quality.
- Identifies and monitors performance indicators including daily production status and areas for improvement.
- Manages production planning to synchronize production and supply to meet planned delivery times for equipment.
- Works closely with internal procurement and external supply chain to meet time, quality, and cost objectives.
- Collaborates with engineering to contribute to the development of products in accordance with manufacturing capacity and according to the needs in terms of improving operational performance.
- Collaborates as necessary with the other factories of the group in the deployment of systems or best practices.
- Collaborates in the preparation of the production budget and ensures its follow-up.
- Leadership & High-Performance Team: The Production Manager will assess, build, manage and coach production teams and work with HR to recruit, hire and onboard employees in accordance with the annual operating plan. Cultivate a cohesive high-performance team built on iPact values (integrity, pride, accountability, customer focus, and teamwork), and strong cross functional collaboration. These responsibilities include:
- Supervise a multidisciplinary production team of assemblers, electricians, and shop support.
- Manages the development of the skills of the members of his team and acts as a coach with them
- Manages the training needs and establishes an annual plan.
- Systems: Production Manager will utilize ERP system to execute on customer orders and projects, manage inventory and production planning to ensure metrics are utilized to grow the business and work with the finance team to use data analytics to proactively manage the profitability of the business.
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience & Education: Bachelor’s degree in operations, engineering, or related area required; MBA is highly preferred. Must have 7-10 years of experience directly related to manufacturing of capital equipment or engineered to order business model. Experience in the packaging industry is preferred.
- Operations Planning & Execution: Demonstrated manufacturing technical experience, processes discipline and problem-solving skills. Strong Operational Excellence experience and demonstrated success in Continuous Improvement and Lean manufacturing with the ability to coach and teach others (Kaizen blitz, Standard Work, etc). Successful in developing processes and metrics that drive rapid assessment of personnel and business progress, proper resource allocation, and execution of the financial plans and operating initiatives that drive earnings growth.
- Leadership & Organization: A strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical abilities, strong operational focus and ability to anticipate future trends and incorporate them into the organizational plan. Ability to think creatively and develop non-traditional solutions to complex business challenges, possessing outstanding management skills, and the ability to be a hands-on leader. Excellent at organizational development, coaching & mentoring but with the ability to enforce accountability, and empower individuals leveraging the strength of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed. Proven leadership and people management skills, including the ability to retain a highly-motivated team and nurture and mentor talent. Developed collaborative working relationships across the organization in pursuit of the company’s overall business goals.
- Action Oriented: The candidate will be intellectually rigorous and able to engage in robust discussions, problem solving, and planning. The person will have sound judgement and be equipped to thrive in a high paced environment.
- Ability to operate computer.
- Manual dexterity sufficient for constant use of a keyboard, mouse, and telephone. Speech and hearing sufficient for regular communications. Vision sufficient for use of a computer monitor and transaction documents.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to perform climbing, stooping, crouching, walking, grasping, talking, hearing and repetitive motions.
- Executing up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and or 10 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Close mental and visual requirements needed to perform work dealing primarily with Engineering, management, and manufacturing.
- Ability to plan, schedule, train, check and evaluate work.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The passage of employees through the work area is average and normal.
All employees are responsible for product quality and are required to understand and follow quality system procedures. All employees have the responsibility, organizational freedom, and authority to initiate action to prevent the occurrence of any non-conformities relating to product, process, and quality system.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Our Core Values
We believe in and live our Core Values, our iPact:
Integrity – Trust makes everything more efficient, build trust through honesty and transparency
Pride – Know that we will live the Pacteon Promise for our customers, selves, owners and communities
Accountable – Say what we do and do what we say
Customer Focus – We listen with purpose, respond with urgency and deliver with quality
Teamwork – Together everyone accomplishes more
Our Pacteon Promise is that “We make it right”. As our customer’s one source for end of line packaging solutions, everyone plays an important role to make that happen.