Start Date: August 2023
Department: Middle School
BB&N is seeking a full-time Middle School Science Teacher to work closely with a team of science teachers co-creating, evaluating, and teaching Science 7 (introductory physics) and Science 7 (introductory chemistry). The BB&N Middle School consists of Grades 7 and 8. Responsibilities include teaching 3-4 classes across both grades, working in our co-curricular/Advisory program, and additional responsibilities including coaching and/or supporting the athletic program as well as contributing to current program needs.
BB&N seeks a candidate who is:
- Committed to empowering student's voices and to creating a dynamic and engaging classroom experience for students
- Dedicated to encouraging middle school-aged students to think deeply about the curriculum, themselves, and the world around them through a lens of scientific inquiry
- Committed to creating experiences to foster student curiosity and engage students in meaningful experimentation
- A creative and multi-dimensional educator whose personal and professional characteristics will bring new perspectives to our community
Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate will have a degree in science or a related field. A Bachelor's degree is required. While a master’s degree in a field of science and at least four years of experience teaching science in grades 7-9 is preferred, we understand that not every great teacher’s path to teaching is a straight line.
In addition, the ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Dedication to working with and an understanding of the developmental needs of middle school-aged students
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive community and promoting a growth mindset
- Capacity to communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Collaboration as a team member
Essential Functions and Key Objectives:
- Plans and develops an engaging, age-appropriate course of study in the classroom, adhering to educational best practices and state and school district curriculum guidelines.
- Designs and delivers individual lesson plans in one or more academic, technical, or vocational subjects using a variety of teaching techniques and appealing to various learning styles.
- Prepares materials for lessons, assignments, and tests; evaluates, corrects, and grades student performance.
- Discusses academic difficulties or behavioral problems with students as they arise.
- Monitors students' progress throughout the year and evaluates preparedness for graduation, vocational school, or college, as appropriate.
- Communicates progress and concerns with tact and professionalism to parents and, as appropriate, other faculty, staff, and/or Director of the Middle School.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with parents, students, and colleagues.
- Enforces safety and security standards for students, staff, and visitors.
- Maintains required paperwork for individual student files, attendance and incident reports, and other necessary records.
- Monitors halls, study periods, and lunchrooms with other faculty and staff.
- Participates in faculty meetings, educational conferences, in-service opportunities, workshops, and other training seminars.
- Maintains knowledge of research, developments, and best practices in secondary education.
- Performs related tasks such as sponsoring student activities or organizations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Salary: $67,000.00 - $97,400.00
BB&N offers competitive salaries and benefits and employs equitable and consistent compensation practices. Our compensation strategy prioritizes equity of pay for faculty with similar years of teaching and other related experience. Starting salaries for the 2023-2024 school year typically range from a starting salary of $67,000 to the median 20-year teaching experience salary of $97,400. Both of these salaries are exclusive of additional compensation granted to faculty with relevant advanced degrees. The starting salary for any hired candidate is based on experience within salary bands.
Compensation for full-time employees includes a 403(b) plan with up to a 10% match of salary and other competitive benefits offerings. Benefits offered to eligible employees include health & dental insurance; commuter benefits; long-term disability insurance, and more.
Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement, and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.
About Buckingham Browne & Nichols:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Buckingham Browne & Nichols is a day school that engages students in grades Pre-K through 12 in a rich and invigorating educational experience of the highest quality. The school excels at helping students discover their unique talents and passions and develop those strengths to the fullest. The curriculum is challenging, forward-thinking, innovative, and flexible, designed to help qualified students, from a range of backgrounds and with a wide spectrum of talents and interests, reach new levels of accomplishment. Co-curricular opportunities in athletics, the arts, community service, and other areas add important dimensions to students’ learning. Students learn on three age and developmentally-appropriate campuses. At every grade, BB&N takes full advantage of the range of opportunities its locations afford.
BB&N is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution. This commitment is integral to the mission and vision of the School. BB&N’s mission is to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The School prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world. At BB&N, we value a diverse and inclusive community that fosters respect for the identities and perspectives of all. The different perspectives and experiences of our students define the fabric of our community and contribute to the growth of the individuals who call BB&N their alma mater and shape the classroom and extracurricular experiences. To have classmates and friends who are different from oneself, to come to truly know the background, experiences, and beliefs of a new friend is to learn more deeply about oneself and our world. There is no more important attribute in preparation for global citizenship.
The vibrancy and vitality we feel in the classrooms, hallways, stages, and playing fields of BB&N derive from the people who are here. At its root are the varied interests and experiences, the different backgrounds, cultures, religions, views, and perspectives that our students and faculty bring to their classes and families bring to myriad activities. Each of us adds to the richness of another’s experience. Working and playing together teaches us lifelong lessons about appreciating, knowing and understanding, and learning from each other.