On behalf of the Mayor’s Workforce Development Board, Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) manages the Detroit Michigan Works! One-Stop Service Centers, branded locally as Detroit at Work Career Centers. The system provides workforce services to over 35,000 job seekers and over 1,400 employers each year.
Reporting to the Manager of Sector Training, the primary responsibility of this position is to partner with employers to develop and implement work-based learning projects, including On the Job Training, Going Pro, customized training and apprenticeships. The Consultant will work with employers that have been outreached and prescreened by the Detroit at Work Industry & Employer Engagement team and/or the business services staff employed by Detroit’s nine (9) Career Centers. The Consultant will ensure that employers receive excellent customer service and that programs are developed, administered and implemented in compliance with funding and performance requirements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop screening and professional development tools to assist business services staff to promote work-based learning opportunities or incentives and to conduct pre-screening with employers to assess whether potential projects are feasible. Work closely with Career Center leadership and staff, DESC program staff and the Detroit at Work centralized industry engagement team to develop tools and ensure they are aligned with Detroit at Work’s strategy, goals and priority populations.
• Provide consulting services to employers to determine which work-based learning opportunities and resources are appropriate and likely to produce positive results given their specific talent needs.
• Assist employers in developing work-based learning projects, which may include any of the following activities: develop job descriptions, identify skills required for new positions, determine skills gaps faced by specific candidates, selection of training provider(s), development of training plan, determination of job seeker pre-requisites for opportunities.
• Manage On-the-Job-Training (OJT) programs, including maintaining pre-screening and site visit tools, conducting and documenting site visits, and developing, completing and executing agreements.
• Train business services staff on how to describe work-based learning opportunities and how to assess feasibility with employers.
• Serve as a resource to the Career Center System career coaches and business services staff seeking to connect job seekers and employers to work-based learning opportunities. Function as facilitator and problem solver if Detroit at Work participants or employers encounter challenges in the implementation of projects.
• Participate in training, meetings, and conference calls convened by the Michigan Labor & Economic Opportunity department, the Michigan Works! Association and others in regards to work-based learning.
• Identify and promote best practices for assessing and documenting employer needs and opportunities, in relation to work-based learning projects and incentives.
• Assist the Apprenticeship Consultant in establishing sustainable registered apprenticeship programs, as needed. Assist Industry & Employer Engagement team in implementing candidate recruitment and screening events and activities for strategic employers, as needed.
• Monitor and evaluate program effectiveness, investigate trends, recommend and implement modifications to improve program effectiveness. Work with the Data Team to identify and deploy technology that improves this program effectiveness.
• Prepare required and supplemental programmatic reports for funders.
• Coordinate special events (i.e. trainings/meetings), create and distribute invitations, distribute resources, attend events to lend support, coordinate technical equipment, and assemble presentation / information.
• Organize and manage project specific tasks and activities.
• Compose and prepare correspondence involving interpretation of policies, procedures, contract, and agreements.
• Prepare reports and analysis setting forth progress and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
• Perform other related duties as required.
The above functions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties of the position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be highly organized and have the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
• Must exhibit stellar communication skills, professionalism, diplomacy, and ability to appropriately interact with staff, participants, employers, and local stakeholders while maintaining working relationships in all aspects.
• Must be able to work under pressure with the ability to reprioritize in order to meet deadlines.
• Seek growing responsibility and show great capacity for work.
• Exhibit expert level documentation and writing skills, and have the ability to prepare timely, accurate and complete reports.
• Must be able to maintain strict ethical legal adherence and confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will have at least four (4) years of progressively more responsibility work experience in human resources, workforce development, recruitment, sales, customer service, or staffing. Bachelor’s Degree in social work, education, business or related field or the equivalent combination of education and work experience is required. Must demonstrate exceptional communication and relationship building skills. Must possess superior project management experience and skills. Must have experience using CRM and other digital communication and management tools.
Valid State of Michigan Driver’s License – Position requires field work.
OTHER: Background check and drug screen required