The Summer Staff Childcare Counselors at Warm Beach Camp (WBC) are responsible for ministering to the spiritual, emotional, relational, and physical needs of the Warm Beach Camp Staff Kids. The person in this position shall, at all times, demonstrate cooperative behavior towards colleagues, supervisors, volunteers and guests. Regular attendance is essential for this position. All team members are expected to maintain an environment of professionalism, safety and fun. As a Staff Childcare Counselor, you will be trained in all summer needs. Throughout the summer you will be responsible for maintaining a safe and fun environment for the staff kids. Their duties include coming up with creative and educational activities, helping children with their lunch and snacks, and maintaining clean environments for the children. This individual will also assist in daily behind-the-scenes programming and work to keep camp running smoothly including cleaning, and necessary work projects as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Have ability to communicate and work with campers age 3-12 and volunteers of high school age, during their various camp activities and provide necessary instruction to camp kids.
- Respond to emergencies in accordance with training and camp policies.
- Possess abilities to observe camper and volunteer behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce applicable safety regulations and emergency procedures and apply effective behavior-management techniques.
- Help build excitement for camp each week and conduct oneself in such a way as to encourage the transfer of trust onto oneself by the parents and campers.
- Work as a team member with the other WBC staff and volunteers toward the overall goals of the camp.
- Be a positive roles model to the summer staff in his/her spiritual walk, self-respect, love and consideration of others, enthusiasm and work ethic.
- Guide and encourage staff and campers' participation in all camp activities and functions, through attitude, speech and action.
- Actively supervise all assigned aspects of the campers' day, including daily activities, meal times, clean-up, swimming and recreational time and evening activities.
- Teach or lead all activities as assigned.
- Strive to meet the spiritual, emotional, relational and physical needs of the campers and volunteers.
- Recognize and respond to opportunities for presenting the "Good News" of Jesus Christ.
- See that assigned campers wear clean clothing and are appropriately dressed for the weather and activities of the day.
- Be aware of the health and well-being of assigned campers and report any problems to the Program Manager.
- Be prepared to assist campers during other recreational activities (training and support given).
- Perform the duties and tasks of being a Summer Staff Childcare Counselor in either program as listed below:
- Camp Kid Day Camp: These counselors work with our Camp Staff Kids, starting with campers who are potty trained to 6th grade (ages 3-12). They begin first thing in the morning at parent drop-off through mid-afternoon when parents pick up their kids. These counselors are required to be high energy with a passion and desire for fun! The day camp experience is a Monday-Friday camp, with other supporting camp roles throughout the rest of your work week. Counselors will work in pairs to take care of the group of camp kids and work together to make sure their campers are having an incredible summer camp experience. Counselors oversee leading their campers in activities, group development, Bible studies, and many other high energy activities. This person will work off of a pre-planned activity schedule and hold the responsibility of planning and prepare each days Bible lesson and craft activity.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Warm Beach Camp Ministries exists to share the hope and love of Christ through camping ministries and experiences in the Pacific Northwest.
At Warm Beach Christian Camps and Conference Center, we exist to provide
Christ-centered environments, experiences and resources to draw people to God through camping ministries, conferences and events.
This is a seasonal, contract position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Have a sincere love for the Lord and be committed to the Lordship of Christ in every area of their life.
- Have a burden and a love for all people and a desire to see them totally committed to the Lordship of Jesus.
- Be willing to support the philosophy and goals of Warm Beach Camp Ministries and Warm Beach Camp through attitude, speech and action.
- Be willing to accept supervision and guidance.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current CPR/First Aid Certification or ability to obtain Food Handler's Card
Valid Driver's License to be authorized to drive camp vehicles. *Not required
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one, small group and large group situations.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to: stand, walk and/or sit for extended periods of time; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently assist in the lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds. Specific vision requirements of the position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The employee must regularly talk or hear. The physical demands described here are representative of the minimum physical requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly exposed to high, precarious places and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
ON-CAMP HOUSING CONDITION
The employee in this position is required to live on the camp premises in staff housing in order to provide round-the-clock supervision of campers and volunteers and fulfill the program requirements of this position.