Fairstead is a purpose driven, national real estate developer. We believe an organization united in worthy goals can improve individual lives, reshape communities, and spark societal change. We are committed to creative positive social, economic and environmental change in the lives of our residents and the communities we service and use these values to guide every decision we make. Our property management team specializes in improving and maintaining Fairstead communities through strengthening relationships with residents that foster a safe, healthy, high quality living experience. Our property Management team engages with its residents and neighborhoods to preserve each community’s unique identity and culture while maintaining its consistent, innovative, best practice approach.
Fairstead has an exciting opportunity at one of our properties, and we are looking for a strong Property Manager to join our team. The Property Manager is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations, all on-site compliance activities and for the overall performance of their assigned property as detailed below.
- Ensure adherence to laws relating to leasing, including but not limited to Departments of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Fair Housing, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Remains compliant and knowledgeable in all aspects of the HUD 4350.3 Handbook.
- Develops responses to regulatory agencies in coordination with the Compliance Department.
- Implements intervention strategies with Regional Managers and Compliance Department for tenants who are non-compliant with lease/compliance requirements.
- Prepares all site REAC reviews, EHS violations cleared, Management and Occupancy Reviews (MOR), Investor Site Reviews, Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) Reviews, and perform annual and interim recertification reviews.
- Documents lease violations and coordinate evictions.
Property Management and Resident Relations
- Maintain full knowledge of the community
- Assisting tenants with requests, questions, problems, and complaints
- Monitors tenant and complex wide arrears and litigation cases
- Alerting staff of move ins, move outs, any emergencies
- Provide excellent customer services and display courteous and professional attitude towards all residents and visitors
- Prepare monthly financial cover sheet
- Attend monthly financial catch-up meeting and monitor budgets
- Attend monthly arrears meeting
- Direct collection of monthly rents and late fees, process applications and pursue delinquencies through legal action and eviction. Monitor bad debt write-off
- Supervises, directs, and monitors the preventive, routine and emergency maintenance/repairs and is compliant with all regulations
- Consistently works to clear HPD, ECB, DOB violations (NY only)
- Coordinates vendor bids and contractor quotes
- Conducts and documents unit inspections
- Conduct bi-annual walk throughs with Building Superintendent
- Create reports for review to ensure all buildings under the PM’s responsibility are properly maintained and building needs are appropriately noted, planned for, and addressed.
- Attend weekly construction meeting
- Provide and obtain updates on various ongoing construction projects/unit renovations
- Work with construction team on avoiding violations, inspections, necessary access
- Documents lease violations and coordinate evictions
Staff hiring and development
- Interview and hire all property employees
- Partner with the Regional Manager, VP of Operations and People Team to develop and maintain solid employee retention practices
- Complete all company required training and ensure all site team members complete required training as well
- Host weekly team and individual meetings, establishing realistic goals and measures of accountability
- Performs other related duties as required
To perform the job successfully, the following skills and/or experience is required to qualify for the position.
- Three (3) years management experience in Affordable Housing, including supervising a team
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- TCS or COS certification.
- EIV experience.
- Yardi experience preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Who you are and what you bring to the table:
- Flexible, outgoing, authentic and confident personality
- Ability to thrive in an informal, yet fast-paced environment
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Promoting opportunities in the company and assist in building the team.
- Able to effectively communicate with a range of people and personalities.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with staff members and the community.
- Ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
- Takes a proactive approach to anticipating and preventing problems. When a problem occurs, define those problems, investigate obstacles, gather relevant information, decide whether solving the problem should be a group decision, generate and analyze alternate solutions and arrive at a workable solution.
- Prioritizes tasks and manages time to ensure that deadlines are met. Achieves results within established timelines. Recognizes opportunities and initiates actions to capitalize on them. Looks for new and productive ways to make an impact.
Fairstead is a purpose-driven real estate firm dedicated to building sustainable communities across the country. Headquartered in New York, with offices in Colorado, Florida, Maryland, and South Carolina, Fairstead oversees a $7.8 billion portfolio in assets and identified pipeline, and owns and manages more than 170 communities across 28 states. Fairstead’s commitment to communities is realized through a comprehensive platform that leverages in-house expertise in acquisitions, development, design and construction, marketing, and property management. Fairstead also implements some of the industry’s most proactive sustainability, resiliency, and community impact programs to foster positive social, economic, and environmental change. In 2022, the company launched Fairstead Ventures, a proptech investment initiative dedicated to fundamentally changing the standards in the housing industry with a focus on energy and decarbonization.
Fairstead’s primary mission is to provide high quality housing to all regardless of income, and to make our stakeholders feel “Right at Home.” We accomplish this through an empathetic and innovative approach, and by utilizing our interdisciplinary platform as an investor, developer, owner, and operator. Fairstead provides hands-on expertise across all multifamily disciplines, including acquisitions, development, design, construction, energy, sustainability, property management and social services. With a long-term commitment to its residents, communities, and partners, the Fairstead team stands out by:
- Listening to and understanding the needs of its residents, communities, partners, and stakeholders alike
- Developing and preserving high quality affordable housing in an innovative and sustainable fashion
- Creating a positive social and environmental impact within the properties and communities it serves
Fairstead’s Core Values