Job Title: Donations Ambassador (Driver) & Warehouse Assistant
Reports to: ReStore Donation Manager
Type: Full Time, Part-Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
About Houston Habitat for Humanity:
Houston Habitat for Humanity, (Houston Habitat), is part of a global nonprofit organization that is committed to its mission that seeks to put God’s Love into action by bringing people together to build homes, community, and hope.
For the past 38 years Houston Habitat has partnered with families to overcome barriers to home ownership and address the shortage of affordable housing. Today, Houston Habitat is still committed to pursuing its vision of a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Our charge is to help low-income Houstonians achieve strength, stability, and self-reliance through affordable home ownership.
Through shelter, we empower people to build a better future for themselves and their families by completing financial and home maintenance training, building homes alongside volunteers, and by purchasing their homes with an affordable mortgage. Houston Habitat has fundamentally changed lives - building strength, stability, and self-reliance - right here in our community through new homeownership opportunities. Strong and stable families in self - sufficient homes create strong and stable communities.
The values that underpin and shape our work and approach are:
- Respect. Be open, transparent, and inclusive. Listen without judgment. Treat others as they desire to be treated—value differences.
- Accountability. Honor commitments or communicate if you cannot do so. Own your words, actions, and results.
- Effective Communication. Communicate with empathy, clarity, and purpose. Practice active listening—listen to understand, not to respond. Ask clarifying questions to gain and confirm understanding. Create a space where it is safe to speak.
- Mission Driven. Be intentional in using knowledge, expertise, and influence to advocate for and advance the mission.
- Entrepreneurial Attitude. Be a lifelong learner open to personal and professional development. Seek continuous improvement and transformative change, embracing innovation, strategic thinking, and agile execution.
- Leadership Mindset. Be courageous. Serve first, empowering, and uplifting others while demonstrating compassion and support. Create a joyful environment.
Houston Habitat for Humanity is seeking a qualified candidate to drive a company truck to pick up donated goods for future sales in our ReStores. This position involves driving a ReStore donation box truck to scheduled pickup locations, meeting with donors, and load/unloading donations. There will also be task to be completed in the warehouse such as general maintenance and clean up.
Successful candidates will be presentable and personable, as well as professional. The driver will be a representative of the organization, helping to assess donations, safely load donations onto the truck, complete proper donation paperwork, unload materials at the ReStore and maintain the truck each day. Operating hours are Monday-Saturday 8am-5pm. Special events hours will vary based on event
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The employee must be able to perform the following job functions:
- Operate ReStore donation trucks in a safe, lawful, and courteous manner
- Maintain cleanliness of trucks interior and exterior (cab/daily; exterior/weekly)
- Regular maintenance checks to ensure readiness of truck and equipment at all times including reporting any maintenance concerns to supervisor
- Daily trucks safety checks to ensure the truck is safe to be on the road
- Regular and as needed communication with Donations Coordinator
- Placing and securing loads as trained
- Loading/unloading of donations, multiple times a day, in a safe and efficient manner
- Maintain in-kind receipts for reporting
- Professional and courteous interaction with donors including utmost care and concern for personal property
- Supervise team members and volunteers during pickups
- Keep inventory organized by sorting inventory as it is unloaded
- Assist with donation processing, recycling, and store needs when not assigned to truck
- Help maintain organization and cleanliness in and outside the ReStore
- Able to be trained and pass forklift training course
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Be an ambassador of the Habitat Program
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Always presents a professional image.
- Strong organizational skills
- Enthusiasm and commitment to always provide excellent customer service.
- Effective multi-tasking skills for a dynamic environment
- Communicate mission of Habitat to all external clients
- Assist with Habitat special events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by Donation Manager or Store Manager
TThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by
an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. Responsibilities may require the ability to lift 40+ pounds, using proper safety equipment. Work may require climbing ladders, considerable standing, bending, kneeling, and reaching awkward and tiring positions, especially at outreach events. Operation of equipment may be required at any time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties are performed in an indoors environment, however, on occasion the employee may have to help unload a truck or load a customer’s vehicle in an outdoor environment. Elements of an outdoor environment may include, but are not limited to, hot or cold temperatures, rain, and/or wind.