Who We Are
Straughan Environmental, Inc. is a successful, rapidly growing, woman owned business that provides high quality and cost-effective consulting services to a wide variety of clients in the governmental and private sectors. Straughan is committed to advancing sustainable and resilient communities. We are experts in environmental planning, design, assessments, and policy. Our staff consists of wildlife and wetlands scientists; geomorphologists and hydrologists, civil and environmental engineers; inspectors; biologists and botanists; planners; cultural resource specialists; and GIS and CAD professionals. This combination of technical expertise and an understanding of policy make Straughan a highly competitive firm and a great place to advance your career.
Straughan is seeking a Stream Restoration Project Manager to join our Engineering Business Unit who has the ability to be a leader, deliver quality projects, and support Straughan’s Ecological Restoration group nationally. The ideal candidate should understand the design and implementation process for ecosystem restoration projects, with experience in the mid-Atlantic. We are seeking a candidate motivated to do right by our resources and create resilient, sustainable, and diverse habitats built on nature-based solutions. Our portfolio includes stream restoration, wetland restoration, living shorelines, stream daylighting, forest establishment, blue-green infrastructure, and more! The successful candidate will interface directly with clients and will be responsible for task and budget management. This is a leadership position with potential for rapid growth. The position reports to Deputy Director of Water Resources Engineering and is based in the home office.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead stream restoration projects, including maintaining schedule, budget, client relationships, and managing project elements including tracking project milestones and prepare project manager reports; and supervising preparation of deliverables and ensuring quality control.
- Manage restoration projects and oversee design and permitting.
- Work collaboratively with our ecological restoration team to choose the right approach for each site, balancing goals and objectives with constraints.
- Delegate and manage tasks working with a talented team of junior engineers and environmental scientists.
- Coordinate directly with client managers.
- Mentor and develop junior staff.
- Develop task proposals and labor estimates.
- Support pursuit of new projects.
- Develop relationships with internal and external clients through personal contacts, participation in conferences and presentations.
- Maintain significant professional qualifications and participate in professional organization activities.
Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Geomorphology, Environmental science, or related field
- Minimum of 7 years' experience
- Stream restoration design experience
- Erosion and sediment control design experience
- Geomorphic assessment experience
- Environmental permitting experience
- Technical writing experience
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with clients and co-workers
- Effective project management skills, task management and follow-through
- Adept change agent dedicated to improving processes
- Experience with proposal development
- Strong written and oral communication skills (presentation/training ability)
- Proficient with Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Adobe Suite
- PE registered in Mid-Atlantic region and have ability for Maryland registration by reciprocity
- Familiarity with multiple restoration techniques including: Valley Restoration/Legacy Sediment Removal, Regenerative Design (RSC), and Natural Channel Design (NCD)
- Rosgen Certified or similar training
- Experience with stream geomorphic assessments and function-based assessments
- Understanding of environmental permitting for restoration projects
- Experience with task and budget management
- Familiarity and project experience with municipalities in the Mid-Atlantic (e.g., Maryland, District of Columbia, Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania)
- Wetland restoration design experience
- Living shoreline experience
- Hydrology & hydraulic analyses
- Proposal and task order development experience
- GIS (Arc-MAP, Arc-PRO) desired
- HEC-RAS desired
- TR-55/TR-20 desired
- SMS and SRH-2D or TUFLOW desired
- Proficiency in MicroStation or AutoCAD desired
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position as required by applicable law.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Physically able to conduct building and construction site visits
As a condition of employment, Straughan employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 except those for whom are legally entitled to an accommodation. Proof of vaccination will need to be submitted as part of the interview/hiring process.
Straughan Environmental Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.