Artisan Design Group – or ADG – is a leading supply chain partner to homebuilders throughout the United States. Over 3,000 ADG employees operating out of 135 facilities in 25 states provide a full range of design, procurement and installation services along with products from the top manufacturers of flooring, cabinets and countertops. Formed in 2016 by the merging of two industry leaders, ADG then acquired over 20 additional companies – each a leader in the geography it serves. We are the premier interior finishings organization in the United States. Our expansive trajectory has been rapid, and we continue to experience explosive growth, thanks to our dedication to high quality work.
This role will be responsible for the overall effectiveness, efficiency, and productivity of ADG’s nationwide network of warehouses. In partnership with the company President, the Supply Chain Services Leadership Team, Channel SVPs, Senior Regional Vice Presidents, and the Director Real Estate, this role will be responsible for simultaneously driving sustainable reduction in distribution network operating costs, while continuing to enable the high levels of entrepreneurial spirit and excellent customer service for which ADG is known.
This role will be responsible for accomplishing these objectives through the development and execution of Distribution network and Warehouse operations strategies, proactively assisting with the evaluation/implementation of facility consolidation opportunities, optimizing Warehouse layouts and workflows, and establishing standardized Warehouse operations processes with measurable KPIs and expected standards of excellence.
Establishing effective working relationships with local and regional operations teams is a critical key success factor to ensure alignment and the full realization of the benefits from identified opportunities and improvement initiatives.
This leader will drive a culture of continuous improvement, will be dynamic and innovative, and one who deploys an energetic day-to-day “roll-up-your-sleeves” attitude.
The breadth of this role requires the ability to both execute on the Supply Chain Services team’s overall strategy while also ensuring that the day-to-day organization is constantly operating in its most efficient form. A rigorous data-driven mentality is a must, and this person needs to have the analytical and quantitative skills necessary to use data to back up forecasts, assumptions, and strategic initiatives. Equally important are communications and change management skills to influence and lead a highly diverse, geographically dispersed group of warehouse operations personnel reporting to the division management organizations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist the Chief Supply Chain Officer and Senior Leadership Team to optimize ADG’s end-to-end supply chain to create a competitive advantage by providing world class strategies, structure, facilities, processes, policies, disciplined execution capabilities, standards of excellence, and talent which deliver superior value to our customers and shareholders.
- Establish key goals and set KPIs for the Distribution Operations group.
- Provide strong on-going leadership to drive company-wide adoption of best practices concepts, tactics and processes.
- Effectively communicate strategies, results, and metrics to company-wide leadership teams as required.
- Develop a team of Warehouse Operations leaders through effective management, leadership, training and coaching. Drive culture change and an environment of accountability and continuous improvement.
- Enable division business leaders to supplement the workforce, scale business operations, deliver operating efficiencies, and better serve our partners.
- Develop warehouse management assessment processes and talent development programs to build capabilities and deliver on performance expectations.
- Conduct the performance management process, identify training and development needs, and establish performance standards for both direct reports and the extended warehouse operations management team.
- Drive the development of ADG’s long-term Distribution Network Strategy and Warehouse Operations model, ensuring the Company fully leverages both Supplier and Third-Party Logistics (3PL) partnerships.
- Provide direction and expertise in continually optimizing ADG’s distribution network footprint in terms of total inventory, Warehouse facilities costs, Warehouse operations and management SG&A costs, and Capital Expenditure (CapEx) requirements.
- Establish a semi-annual Warehouse Capacity Management process to provide a rolling 18-month forecast of space/location requirements and work with Channel leaders, SRVPs and Real Estate to maintain a Master Schedule of facility buildouts and relocations.
- Partner with the Director of Real Estate and Channel/Division management in the on-going review of facility needs/selection regarding warehouse and fabrication locations. Ensure facilities are right-sized, laid out and outfitted with needed furnishings, equipment, racking, and technology to meet operational needs, optimize productivity, and meet ADG safety standards.
- Partner with the Senior Director EHS to develop and implement ADG and Industry Safety standards.
- Provide expertise and oversight in the development, implementation and standardized execution of staffing, scheduling, training, and workflow processes and procedures to drive continual improvement in labor productivity, inventory accuracy and safety.
- Lead development and ongoing tracking of productivity and service level metrics including On Time In Full (OTIF), Installer Load Out Time (ILOT), Operating Cost per dollar of Material Cut & Delivered (OCM), Scrap Cost per dollar of Material Cut & Delivered (SCM), Inventory Accuracy, and other indicators of effective warehouse operations at both the individual Warehouse and total Distribution network levels.
- Support the evaluation and onboarding of new acquisitions into the ADG Distribution network and drive the identification and achievement of merger synergies spanning facilities, equipment, inventory, and staffing.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Supply Chain, Business, Engineering, Industrial Distribution, or related field.
- 15+ years related experience, with 5+ years of senior Distribution Operations leadership roles, in private and/or public companies, ideally in the building products and distribution space at companies with over $1 billion in revenue.
- Strong experience in Distribution network strategy, Logistics, Facility buildout and consolidation, and Warehouse operations.
- Must have a proven track record of leading direct and/or indirect associates distributed across many locations.
- Detailed working knowledge of and experience implementing Warehouse Management Systems (WMS), Transportation Management Systems (TMS), and a variety of Warehouse productivity technologies (e.g., Voice Pick, RFID).
- Expertise in Warehouse layout, storage and material movement equipment/techniques, slotting, and material flow.
- Excellent communication and project management skills with an ability to lead and coordinate cross-functional teams and deliver complex strategic initiatives, in a truly fluid, interactive environment.
- Proven financial and business acumen and capability in negotiation, change management and stakeholder management.
- Travel will be required for this role.
· Demonstrated leadership, strong personal presence, initiative, results-orientation, and a sense of urgency.
· Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
· High drive for results and discipline in execution.
· Effective leader with a broad skillset that covers being an effective facilitator and coach for his/her team while also bringing an analytical and technical ability to read, analyze and synthesize information for Executive Leadership.
· Demonstrated collaboration, influencing, and communication skills to work successfully across business functions, suppliers, and all management levels.
· Must be capable of rolling up his/her sleeves to execute priorities while at the same team building a team. This is not an administrative role; it is active hands-on leadership.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit at computer monitor for long periods throughout the day.
- Must possess the ability to stand for long periods of time; to reach with hands and arms; to move among and between offices; to handle mail and documents; to sit, stoop, kneel and crouch; to lift and move up to 10 pounds; to see well enough to discern differences in quality of documents and files.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- General working conditions
- Office environment
- May have to meet tight deadlines
- Health Insurance (Medical, Prescription, Dental, and Vision)
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Paid Holidays and Time Off
- 401(k) Plan with company matching
Artisan Design Group is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees. It is the policy of Artisan Design Group to apply recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, and professional development practices without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or certain classifications based on genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.