The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
An Opportunity to Make an Impact
We believe independent journalism is essential to a well-functioning democracy and access to fact-based, objective news and information is a right of every citizen. We serve the public interest by creating diverse, compelling content that informs, inspires, delights, and enriches. We are seeking an experienced News Page Design Editor to join our growing newsroom. The News Page Design Editor will produce News, Features, and Opinion pages for our print and digital newspaper editions. The ideal candidate will possess news editing and design skills and produce informative, attractive news pages under often-tight deadlines.
- Produce daily news pages on time with attractive design and clean copy.
- Write appealing, concise headlines and captions.
- Copy edits news articles line by line, occasionally working with reporters and editors to cut stories to fit the available space.
- Creatively and compellingly design pages in accordance with the newspaper's style.
- Adapt to changes and developments in the news cycle throughout the course of the day and evening.
- A minimum of two years of experience in newspaper production
- Bachelor's degree – or equivalent professional experience – in journalism, communication, design, or a related field
- Mastery of several desktop publishing and related programs
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and some holidays.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines daily.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with editors and reporters.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, vacation, holidays, life insurance, disability coverage, retirement savings, and a commuter benefit plan.
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture.
- A flexible work schedule.
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand and help build the future of local news!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice. This role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
COVID-19 Requirement: CST requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination hire.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis, which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.
CSTM is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable
accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.