The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
An Opportunity to Make an Impact
We believe independent journalism is essential to a well-functioning democracy and access to fact-based, objective news and information is a right. We serve the public interest by creating diverse, compelling content that informs, inspires, delights, and enriches.
We are seeking an experienced Features Reporter to join our growing newsroom. The Features Reporter will provide breaking and trending news and feature coverage about the Chicago area cultural scene, including music, theater, TV, music, family fun, and art. The ideal candidate will be someone who can quickly gather facts about new developments, find and profile innovative, creative people, and write about artistic works with a sense of their big-picture context. You may also be asked to provide multimedia elements for the stories you report.
• Producing factually accurate and original stories
• Provide breaking and trending news and feature coverage, as well as in-depth pieces on a variety of topics, including culture and lifestyle trends
• Report clearly, accurately, and fairly to deliver fully sourced news stories on tight deadlines
• Observe Chicago culture for interesting people, creations, and trends
• Work collaboratively with editors and other reporters
• A minimum of three years of professional reporting experience with published works in a daily newspaper, a magazine, or a news website. Previous cultural and/or entertainment coverage is a plus.
• bachelor’s degree – or equivalent professional experience – in journalism, communications, entertainment, or a related field.
• Track record of producing factually accurate and original stories. Please submit clips via links in your resume or cover letter.
• Ability to juggle multiple stories, delivering quick-turnaround dailies while working on longer-term pieces.
• Some scheduling flexibility is required, including the ability to work nights, weekends, and some holidays.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, vacation, holidays, life insurance, disability coverage, retirement savings, and a commuter benefit plan.
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture.
- A flexible work schedule.
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand and help build the future of local news!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice. This role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
COVID-19 Requirement: CST requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination hire.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis, which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.
CSTM is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable.
accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.